Quicktake?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by carve, Jan 20, 2007.

1. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

Hello, I am interested in buying an Apple quicktake 200. I just have one question though, will it work with the current version of mac OS X? Thanks for the help!

2. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I think it uses an old serial port so that will probably deter you from using it. Also it takes 640x480 fotos so your fone will demolish it. I guess you just want it to be 1337 or something right?

3. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

Also, they take the older SmartMedia cards which i think are 5V not the newer 3.3V. If you do buy one make sure it has at least one card that works. Not sure if current card readers can handle them? anyone?

http://www.andybaird.com/qt200/

4. blakespot Administrator

blakespot

I purchased a 7-in-1 USB cardreader specifically to read SmartMedia cards from my QuickTake 200. The reader will read 3.3v cards but NOT the 5v cards the QuickTake uses.

The QuickTake software must run under Classic on a Mac, but I believe it will work if you have a real serial port or a USB-to-serial converter. I've done this before, I think. The software exists for the PC/Windows, as well.

Also worth noting that the Fuji DS-7 is the same as the QuickTake.

You can see a gallery of images I took with my QuickTake back in 1998 here:

http://pix.blakespot.com/view/trips/sanfrancisco_98/

blakespot

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Very Nice pictures, espesically with an old camera;)

6. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

will the Quicktake 200 work on Apple Videophone that i posted about??? i know that it works in classic mode in OS X. but since the cam dont work in OS X since there is no support for the serial ports in OS X the cam wont work in classic mode

7. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

If you are that desperate to use the QT200, you could probably shell out a few quid for an old LC or Performa. I expect it would work out cheaper than finding the appropriate card reader.

8. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

i see no benefit to actually USING a quicktake camera.

quality, compared to today, is shoddy at best.

slow actually photo taking

very limited memory (?)

uses ADB port, ick.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Getting a quicktake to actually use is pointless since there are much better digital cameras out there even in phones. The only reason for getting one is if you have a collection of old apple stuff and you want to add to it.

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

11. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

You can take a good picture with a pinhole camera.

The point is, spending money to USE this camera is a waste seeing as how for a similar price, you can get something that is far easier to use in todays world.

12. blakespot Administrator

blakespot

Here is the Win95 software needed to pull images off of a QuickTake or Fuji DS-7. Self expanding .exe archive. If anyone (Fuji, Apple) has a problem with me linking to this software, please PM me here and I will remove the file.

As I recall it works with 95/98/NT but does not work with XP. Give it a try tho. Requires and oldschool COM port (serial) and proper cable.

blakespot

13. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

It works fine with XP too. To be honest its much easier using a Quicktake camera with a PC than it is with a Mac. It's one one of the few things I use a PC for over a Mac.

14. blakespot Administrator

blakespot

I still use the quicktake, a tripod, and Apple Quicktime VR Studio v1.0 (OLD!) to do QTVR panoramic movies, as it's the only such software I have, and I can't get it working properly (focal length, etc.) w/ other cameras.

See: http://www.bytecellar.com/qtvr.html

blakespot

15. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

The image quality is very impressive for a 9 year old digital camera. Most phones of similar resolution have much more noise. (The thumbnails of all those images have astounding clarity)

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It's probably since the sensor in the quicktake is larger than in most phones.

17. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I remember wanting one of those, and thinking "wow, all those huge 640x480 pictures will fill up my 230MB hard drive in a week!"

I settled for a grayscale QuickCam...

18. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

The QuickTake cameras are fun, I have a few 150s and a 200. I tried using the 200's SmartMedia card in a modern reader, but like everyone else it didn't work :p Also I imported some photos from a QuickTake 150, transfered it over the network to my Mac running Mac OS X 10.4, and Preview can't view them. Says something about needing the proper decompressor, or QuickTime Plug-In. I guess there's not an easy way to view these old photos on a new Mac, unless there's something I'm doing wrong, or missing. :confused:

But, these things are pretty cool. It's silly using them today, but they're a nice collectors item. ;) :D

19. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Yes, those thumbnails are quite impressive for such an old camera :eek:

I've got a QuickTake 150 & 200 :confused: I'm guessing the software for the 150 will work with the 200 too, yes?

20. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I don't know, the QuickTake 200 I had came with a CD-ROM. After some Googling here's what I found.
    There are some QuickTake downloads here: http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html

And there's a QuickTake 200 driver here: http://www.macdrivermuseum.net/scan.shtml

Hope that works! :D :)

21. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You can't get 3.3V SmartMedia anymore, the 5V SmartMedia was out of stock 5 years ago or more.

22. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Thanks for the heads-up LimeiBook86 :)

I found my QT 150 & 200 the other day. I tried installing the QT 150 Camera Drivers from here: http://www.macdrivermuseum.net/scan.shtml but on my iMac w/Mac OS 9.1 it screwed it all up :mad:

I ended up reformatting and going with 9.2.2 which seems to be better, so it's all good :D :apple:

Anyway I still have the box for my QT 200 and inside was the install CD ... :rolleyes: I installed the software on my Kanga and using the included cable my TQ 200 is working fine.

Not the best camera, but still fun to play with ;)