Quicktime 6 Pro to Quicktime 7 Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nightdweller25, Apr 9, 2005.

1. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

I'm just wondering if I will be able to use my current registration key for QT 6 Pro on QT 7 Pro to unlock all of it's features. Will I be able to do this or do I have to buy another registration key? :confused:

2. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I wondering this too. And also how do you get the registration key from QT Pro 6 if your going to do a clean install of Tiger.

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I venture to guess not. You have to pay extra for the H.264 codec licenses.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If the past is anything to go by then every major increment (i.e. 5.x to 6.x) as required a new key. Sucks :(

5. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

It will be a new purchase this is after all a big update. If you intend on buying any of apple's new pro apps you will get a free QT7 serial with them (assuming rumours about their appearance at NAB is true).

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Your QuickTime Pro 6 key is visible in your registration panel right now. You should also have it written down somewhere else. IIRC, it is also stored by Apple. You can get it at your Apple account.

7. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Yeh I don't mind paying.. let's be honest folks, look how long our quicktime 6 serials worked. You get good value for money from Quicktime.. all the updates and majorish ones free too... (6.1, 6.2, 6.3,etc)

8. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

Quicktime Pro? Worth it?

I have never used quicktime pro. I don't think I ever will. Convince me.

9. chv400 macrumors 6502

QT pro is actuall quite useful you can convert things from one codec to another. i first got a QT pro key back when I figured out how to use apple video player's record function on my 8500 once i got a Cd burner I used it as a weak tivo but it worked now with mpeg 4 you can put a full quality recording of a 1 hour episode onto 1 cd and when the codec in QT 7 is out even more will be possible.

10. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I think it's strange that fullscreen playback is disabled in the non-Pro version.
    I know there is a ton of free apps that solve the problem, but simply double-clicking a movie doesn't cut it. Irritating IMHO.

11. NaMo4184 macrumors member

not only that, the nag to upgrade ads are terrible. On my windows machine i was able to play quicktime, real video and windows media all in one player... thats about the only thing i miss though.

Quicktime pro is a complete ripp off though how in the world do you by an operating system but you don't fully own it? you have to pay for components of it. I think its about the most uncool thing apple does. You can't delete quicktime completely eigther. it uses excessive cpu when playing .mp4 compared to vlc and it resizes very slow to full screen compared to vlc. It also has no full screen controls.

12. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

This question always seems to be coming up. Now we know for sure (officially) that Tiger is going to have QT7 (as we all suspected anyway), it suggests we are going to have to shell out again. It's kind of annoying to have full screen playback disabled again (cheap shot Apple) but at least Real Player is now perfectly capable of playing those full screen QT files and it's free. (And it's not as bad as people make out ;) )

13. NaMo4184 macrumors member

real player really has improved! i was suprised when i used it. I like that it doesn't bais against xvid divx stuff. All apple has to do is make a generic mpeg4 decoder and it would be all good. No licensing fee or anything like that. My only problem with real player is that i don't like the keyboard short cuts and i can't get it to play windows media.

14. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

You will need to buy a Quicktime 7 Pro key again. I read it on the Apple site somewhere but can't for the life of me find it again now.

I agree that it sucks that you have to pay for a Pro key just to view movies in full screen mode. How is that a pro feature?

15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm expecting an update to FCP and the production suite soon, so the QT Pro key for 7 will no doubt come with that. I'm sure there will even be some issues running FCP with Tiger - and it might be too much to ask for that all FCP users would get a free QT Pro 7 upgrade....

D

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In the Apple Store page for Tiger, there is this text:

17. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yeah.

I got Pro less than 12 months ago and now another $30US to upgrade just to get full screen (I dont need the editing features).

I think I might just use VLC as my default now and save the money.

18. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

All of these issues will be resolved with 7.0. I for one will get it I guess, an even though I use VLC and mplayer too, their development has ceased and for the standard formats QT is just really nice.

19. TigerPercy macrumors newbie

The Facts A bout Quicktime 7

Apple Quicktime 7 does not use the same serial numbers as any versions before it. I have been using Tiger since August and this has been confirmed. FCP users got a free Quicktime 6 serial as of right now will have to go purchase a serail from Apple to get Quicktime 7 enabled.

20. Diomedes macrumors 6502

This was reported by AppleInsider, and was confirmed to me on the phone - QT 6.5 Pro keys will be disabled, and you will have to buy a new one. Even if you purchase a QT Pro license right now, you'll have to pay again (which is absurd - is QuickTime the exception to Apple's "Up-To-Date" program?)

And no, you can't pre-order QuickTime 7 Pro (at least that was the information I was given on the phone).

21. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

More than just full screen mode. But I agree that full screen should be free. I use it for converting file types and editing my video.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/upgrade/

22. Damien macrumors regular

Will there be a new features in QT Pro from last time?

23. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Here are the menus from 7, indicating which features are Pro-only:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Obviously a tougher application to use since it needs double help! ;)

25. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Well Pro features seem pretty much most of the options. I bought pro less that 12 months ago...I think I'll see if VLC covers my needs before forking out more money