QuickTime 7.1.3 wont play digital camera videos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dav, Sep 13, 2006.

1. dav macrumors 6502

See title.

I have a Casio Exilim EX-S500 and it has worked flawlessly importing the videos to iPhoto and playing them through quicktime. Now I just get audio with a white video screen after the update. Reinstalled 3ivx, etc.. no hope. Your thoughts?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

3. dav thread starter macrumors 6502

It is just some basic MPEG-4 situation that should normally work. I didn't have to jump through any hoops last time.

4. The Void macrumors regular

The Void

I feel your pain. QT7 broke compatability with my Pentax s40 AVIs too. They worked fine in 6, but they crash 7.

Sorry, not much help, but a little sympathy.

The Void
    Snap unhappy.

5. dav thread starter macrumors 6502

6. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Intel or PPC Mac?

7. dav thread starter macrumors 6502

Intel. Macbook 2GHz 2GB RAM

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

9. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

How about your Mac? PPC or intel?

Sorry for being inquisitive without providing any help. I have a Casio camera as well and I'd rather not upgrade QT if it will break my avi compatibility.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I have a PM Dual G5. However, it is the codec and the not the processor which is important. If your required codec is PPC-only, you can still run the QuickTime player under Rosetta.

11. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

It used play under QT without Rosetta. In any case, playing is no big deal, I can always use VLC for that. However, I cannot edit any of the files in iMovie if QT somehow broke the codec.

12. Yuvi macrumors member

Do you have Flip4Mac installed? Your camera is encoding Microsoft ISO MPEG-4 V1.1, and apparently 7.1.3 breaks Flip4Mac's decoding of this format (see here) The best solution at the moment is to install an Intel build of FFusion (see here), but you may also need to uninstall Flip4Mac.

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I have Flip4Mac installed and it still works for me.

14. Yuvi macrumors member

I'll bet you also have the Casio AVI Importer installed; that has higher priority than Flip4Mac. I assumed that the Casio thing was PPC only, but it's apparently become Universal, so I'd recommend theBB check to see if he has a universal version installed instead of following my earlier suggestion.

15. dav thread starter macrumors 6502

Works now, shuffled some components, deleted Divx and kept 3ivx, and installed the universal casio component

Thanks all

16. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You would lose that bet.

17. gjugger macrumors newbie

QuickTime Player 7.1.3 no longer opens Casio AVI Movies

I learned I could play Casio AVI format movies on my Mac by inserting an EX_M4S2 component into my Quicktime Player library file. This worked beautifully for some time on several versions of QuickTime including vers 7.1.2.

Two weeks ago I upgraded to 7.1.3 and I discovered I could no longer open up the AVI files with my QuickTime. The AppleCare people were no help. Has anyone else with a Mac had the same problem? I went to the EX_M4S2 home page to see if they had an update, but there was none. I found that by downloading VLC on my computer, I could open the AVI files with ease. But why does my QuickTime no longer provide this service? I even downloaded (at a price) QuickTime 7 Pro, but this was no help.

Please give me your comments. Thanks, loads. Jugger