Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
If you read Think Secret here, 10.3.9 should be able to run Quicktime 7:

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0504briefly.html

What this suggests is that it would be entirely possible for Apple to make yet another Panther update, make it ready for all their NAB announcement applications, and not need to release Tiger by NAB. Remember, it is Think Secret which says that Tiger to be released simultaneously with 10.3.9. However, if Apple finds more bugs, having a version of 10.3 that will run Quicktime 7 does give it the option of holding off on Tiger, and still being ready for NAB, since most of the NAB application updates only need Quicktime 7. Unless there is something else in Tiger that precludes Apple from updating its video applications for NAB, I think Apple has a backup plan for releasing Tiger later rather than sooner.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
...and the answer is, yes. There are other technologies in Tiger that make it mandatory to run the new apps.
These technologies would include Core Image and Core Video. As for Quicktime7, it always was going to run on Panther and Windows, but it was going to come out FIRST on Tiger.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
OK, Thank you.

Now Apple I suppose could announce both the applications and Tiger for a specific release date some time in the future and simply not release those applications until Tiger is ready to go with them.

The Black Rock

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2005
Not too surprising really. I don't think anyone claimed that Quicktime 7 would be a Tiger exclusive. It had to be coming out for Windows also, so it had to be out for lesser Apple OSs.

Quicktime 7 will be available for download.

Safari 2.0 w/RSS will be available for download.

There's probably some other stuff that'll be coming as well. But still, everything will work better on Tiger.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
The Black Rock said:
Not too surprising really. I don't think anyone claimed that Quicktime 7 would be a Tiger exclusive. It had to be coming out for Windows also, so it had to be out for lesser Apple OSs.

Quicktime 7 will be available for download.

Safari 2.0 w/RSS will be available for download.

There's probably some other stuff that'll be coming as well. But still, everything will work better on Tiger.

Are you sure about Safari 2.0? After all, it's one of the features that Apple uses to convince people to upgrade. It's possible the elusive Safari 1.3 will finally materialise, but Safari 2.0 for Panther, I don't think so.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Safari 2.0 will not come out for Panther. Remember Apple cut Safari updates from Jaguar when Panther comes out. Same will happen when Tiger comes out. Safari is not a cross-platform program like iTunes and QuickTime. Only iTunes and QuickTime will likely to be backwards-compatible with Panther.

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
Well i really hope that isnt true. Cos i really want Tiger. I think that those new apps need more than just Quicktime 7. i am hoping for a release tommorrow, or friday...only time will tell

ibookster

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2004
Raven VII said:
Safari 2.0 will not come out for Panther. Remember Apple cut Safari updates from Jaguar when Panther comes out. Same will happen when Tiger comes out. Safari is not a cross-platform program like iTunes and QuickTime. Only iTunes and QuickTime will likely to be backwards-compatible with Panther.

I got safari 2.0 (v168) running on panther 10.3.8....

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
gopher said:

What this suggests is that it would be entirely possible for Apple to make yet another Panther update, make it ready for all their NAB announcement applications, and not need to release Tiger by NAB. Remember, it is Think Secret which says that Tiger to be released simultaneously with 10.3.9. However, if Apple finds more bugs, having a version of 10.3 that will run Quicktime 7 does give it the option of holding off on Tiger, and still being ready for NAB, since most of the NAB application updates only need Quicktime 7. Unless there is something else in Tiger that precludes Apple from updating its video applications for NAB, I think Apple has a backup plan for releasing Tiger later rather than sooner.
I agree with this view. I'll go even farther and say this: assuming this is true, the reports of a Tiger build 8A432 circulating are true, and my understanding that Apple only changes the branch ("A" in this case) for updates and new hardware, the rumor of Tiger build 8A428 being the Gold Master is clearly false. Therefore, those of you hoping for a polished Tiger with as many bugs as practical squashed will get your wish (something I want to see as well). I'm going to go back to my original projection (which I got from wdlove) of a June 24th, 2005 Tiger release.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
gopher said:

This makes sense to me also. Unlike daveway00, however, I think FCP 5 will work on 10.3.9, except (obviously) without the benefits of Core Image / Core Video that Tiger brings.

This won't be surprising, considering that FCP 3 ran on G3s. The hype about FCP 3 was its realtime (no render) preview capabilities, but you needed at least a 500MHz PM G4 or 667MHz PowerBook G4 to avail the realtime features. I know this example doesn't appear to be completely analogous but CI/CV are also hardware dependent, and Tiger will work on systems that can't avail CI/CV either (performance will be scaled down).

gopher, thanks for bringing up the great point about QT 7 being the key.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Concerning the thread, QT 7 will not require Tiger. Apple will quite obviously make it available to 10.1.5 and up, and Windows (whatever they support now).

However, I don't think that any of the new apps from NAB will require Tiger, but might require QT 7 and will be able to take advantage of Tiger's new features.
-Chase

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
The Black Rock said:
Have you revised your predictions yet?

Ah, he stuck his neck out and got it wrong. So what? We've all done similar things.

Anyway, as said above, there was never any question of Quicktime 7 not being available for Panther, as it will have to come out for Windows too. I'd guess they'll cut 10.1 availability here, and make it a 10.2.8 or above.

The Black Rock

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2005
thequicksilver said:
Ah, he stuck his neck out and got it wrong. So what? We've all done similar things.
So what, so what? I'm not saying anything bad about him.

I predicted that it would be coming in April/May.

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
The Black Rock said:
So what, so what? I'm not saying anything bad about him.

It was an empty question that you asked. You knew he would have no choice but change his predictions, and it sounded like you were being a bit of a smart-arse, that's all.

Glad to hear that you weren't though. :)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
The Black Rock said:
Have you revised your predictions yet?
Why bother? Apple did it for me by announcing a release date for Tiger - there's no point in making another prediction now. Even wrldwzrd89, ever the helper, gets things wrong - I'm ready and willing to admit it, too.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
There isn't any more news about QT 7 at this time, so all guesses are fair game. I just hope they have a QT 7 public beta available at Tiger's release for non-Tiger users.

However, has anyone else noticed that PDFs now open in Safari using QT? I'm in the latest version of Panther right now, and it seems like all PDFs are opening within Safari, even though I don't have an extra extensions installed. Anyone else see QT opening PDFs in Safari?
-Chase

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.