Quicktime 7 Sample movies?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by millypede, Apr 12, 2005.

1. millypede macrumors 6502

millypede

Ok has any one got or seen any sample movies that H.264 can take advantage of? as im pretty stuck with the standard version but i would like to see what HD264 looks like, and yes I have Tiger, so dont tell me I need QT7 :) :p

2. The Black Rock macrumors regular

So you're saying that you have a Tiger SDK but no Quicktime 7? I didn't even know that they did that. But I've seen some H.264 stuff around with another player, some free player. Check Appleinsider or Applenova, they've got some comparisons up already, with screenshots.

I'm just waiting to download Quicktime 7 on my PC in a few weeks.

3. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

If you have Tiger, then take a DV file (or any other high quality file) and go ahead and convert it in QT 7. You'll be amazed. :D
    -Chase

4. millypede thread starter macrumors 6502

millypede

No I have QT7 with Tiger but I cant seem to find any HD264 movie files any were , you know like the QT Movies Steve jobs uses during the Keynote speech.

5. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

mmm if you impoort a Dv footage into quicktime 7 and then export out using the new codecs you will notice the size and quality

edit : also if you do find any movie trailers like house of daggers in quicktime 7 demo let me know ! :D

6. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

You're an ADC and don't know that the new codec is H.264, not HD264? I smell limewire...

7. adam1185 macrumors regular

all the kids are using bit torrent these days, limewire is old school :cool:

8. jap4n macrumors member

you can make h.264 videos in Handbrake 7 (beta2) aswell. And play them back in VLC. (these aren't the final codecs or Apple-made codecs.. just examples of.. looks cool)

hehe.. "HD264"

indeed the smell is p2p-ish... :p tut-tut-tut

not many days to go now… :)

9. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Yes if anyone can find I would like the movie trailer that Steve showed us at MWSF ;)

10. cc bcc macrumors 6502

Quicktime 7 Pro key is not for sale yet, so you can't export movies.

11. HGW macrumors member

iMovie

what if you use iMovie 5 to export H.264, if this is possible without QT7pro then please reply.

12. Luciano macrumors newbie

Sample H264

To properly evaluate H264 quality you must start out with uncompressed footage, not simply renencoding something that is in another codec. Most don't have access to professionally shot uncompressed high quality standard definition footage not to mention HD.

I own a production company that has a good bit of uncompressed HD footage, very pristeen. I can encode some of it on H264 and post it on my web server if anyone is interested????? I have a compression program that suports H264. I don't have Tiger yet and therefore can't play it back. I was just at NAB and did find out the data rates and other info on how to properly encode it. I also looked at a good bit of HD H264 footage and can tell you it is the bestlooking HD I've seen other than uncompressed. It looks much better than the MPEG 2 HD coming from satallite, cable, or teresteral digital broadcasts.

13. cynikal macrumors member

I think the more pressing question is, who wouldn't be interested? post away!

14. mingisback macrumors regular

yes.. please post some h.264 video clips.

i'd just love to see how they look in QT7.

15. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

As a previous guy said, just download Handbrake and make some h.264 clips yourself.

Any movie DVD you have lying around will work. I'd suggest only ripping a small chapter from the disc and not the whole disc or that will take all day.

The very first download link on that page is the version you want.

16. mingisback macrumors regular

we aren't looking for h.264 video converted from MPEG-2.

we are looking for uncompressed video converted into h.264

handbrake's h.264 won't look any better than the original footage used.... get it?

17. oskar macrumors 6502

To really compare

The only way to make a true comparison would be to have the original uncompressed footage, the H.264 compressed footage, and maybe another footage file compressed in the "competing" quality. And beeing that uncompressed HD data rates go over 120MB/s, you can only make a comparison with the H.264 footage and the competing format unless the file is posted and your willing to take your time to download it. :confused:

18. theFATangel macrumors newbie

Uncompressed Video?

Bad news for everyone looking for UNCOMPRESSED video to convert from. RGB or Uncompressed YUV cannot be handled by most systems available to the casual consumer (like you and I).

MPEG-2 is a lossy compression, just as MiniDV and DVCAM are. MiniDV and DVCAM use DV25 - A LOSSY COMPRESSION. MPEG-2 is compressed far more and can look exceptionally shabby.

I think what most people here are getting at is to compress to H.264 from the highest quality video available (for most of us this means MiniDV or DVCAM).

Convering from DVD-Video (MPEG-2) to H.264 is kind of like transcoding from WMA to MP3 ie. one inferior lossy compression to another. Garbage in means garbage out.

Just thought I would clear up some incorrect terminology that I see flying around on this post. I welcome any corrections or comments, thanks all,

theFATangel

19. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

The point is not to see how pristine H.264 can be, but rather how good it looks at lower bitrate. What's amazing about H.264 is that you can get DVD quality footage at a far lower bitrate, perhaps even low enough to get a fine looking full length DVD size/quality movie onto a CD.

20. oskar macrumors 6502

smells like something else...

In millypede's original post he did say H.264 and then said HD264. First he was referring to the new H.264 codec which can compress movies in any size. With HD264 he was reffering to compressing High Definition footage with the H.264 codec.
    Just wanted to clarify this as I've seen way too many people who think that everybody who already have Tiger, only have it because they downloaded it via P2P or bittorrent or whatever.

21. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Hmm, funny, that woule make those technologies like Blu-Ray and HD-DVD a bit redundant, since h.264 will make today's DVD seem like a HD-DVD. :)

22. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

23. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Says the file doesn't exist? :confused: (I right-clicked/Download File because I don't have Tiger yet, and want to save it until I do.

24. cynikal macrumors member

Attached Files:

25. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

download the gzip

arn