Quicktime 7 - Windows users get free Pro key?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NATO, Oct 23, 2006.

1. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

My friends (who both use PCs at the moment) have pointed out the fact that their copies of Quicktime 7 (installed as part of iTunes) have come with a Quicktime Pro Key as standard.

When they go to 'About Quicktime', there is a license key already there and it is registered to Apple.

How can this be, when Apple are charging us Mac users for the Pro version?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

This is totally untrue.

EDIT: Pictures to follow.

3. NATO thread starter macrumors 68000

NATO

I've checked both PCs, they definitely have a Key entered there, and they are almost certain they have never paid for QT Pro or used a dodgy key.

Plus, if it was a dodgy key, why would it be registered to Apple?

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Windows XP. Latest Quicktime from Apple.

Notice the "PRO" indicator, meaning you have to purchase Pro to get those features.

[​IMG]

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Final Cut Pro/Express come with a QT PRO key. That key is a standard key that is registered to Apple.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I suspect someone bought or stole or whatever the QTPro key, entered it, and forgot. Or, it's free in Ireland. But it's definitely not free for Windows users in the US.

EDIT:

There you go.. sounds like a reasonable reason to me!

7. NATO thread starter macrumors 68000

NATO

I asked for a few screenshots just to verify, here they are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I say, its possible that there may be another reason, but we're pretty certain that theres no other way this could have happened as the only Apple software on the two PCs (seperate, independant PCs and users) is iTunes/Quicktime, and they've definitely never paid for QT Pro, and wouldn't have had a need to get a dodgy key as they don't use Quicktime for anything, just iTunes.

Weird :confused: I guess we'll just have to assume its an anomaly, as clearly not all Windows users have this key by default.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I notice that the screenshot is of Vista which I presume is also pirated.

9. dylan macrumors 6502

Um, you can't pirate Vista. It's not even being sold... It's in a public beta phase.

10. wal9000 macrumors member

Oh please, don't be a (silly person). There's absolutely no reason to assume that he's got anything different than everyone else, which is the beta that you can get off of Microsoft's website.

Vista RC1!

If you meant "pirated off of Microsoft's website" then sorry for misinterpreting you.

Edit: dylan beat me to it

11. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Actually its a theme that comes with WindowsBlinds.

12. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

hm i dont know why it is pro... and as for vista i know that devient art has a vista skin that is pretty cool.

13. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Indeed that's just a Vista theme for XP. I've seen a million of 'em (none look just like Vista).

I know for a fact QT for Windows does *not* come with a Pro key. What you're experiencing is a fluke. Aside from the installation on my own MP, I've seen it installed on at least a handful of other PCs and never did they have a Pro key included.

14. NATO thread starter macrumors 68000

NATO

Yeah guys its a skin, it's definitely XP :p

I guess we're beating a dead horse at this point as its clear this isn't something that all Windows users are experiencing, I just found it odd that two seperate systems with two completely seperate users both have the same thing. Obviously neither are complaining, but its definitely strange.

Who knows, maybe it was an issue with the iTunes/Quicktime installer which Apple corrected soon after?

15. Victory macrumors newbie

Final Cut Pro/Express come with a QT PRO key. That key is a standard key that is registered to Apple.

Merry Christmas. I have FCE but I didn't know it came with a QT PRO Key. Where would one find it?

16. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

maybe qt is so crappy on windows, apple begin to give it out for free, HEHEHE :D :D :D
    seriously? I would say its a batch licenses from somewhere.

17. mediaguru macrumors regular

When I installed Final Cut Studio, the QuickTime Preferences were updated to show a new registered user related to the "Pro Apps," but the name is not simply "Apple." There is also no visible registration code in the preferences like the one that was censored in the Windows QT screen cap.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

18. PatrickF macrumors 6502

Oh boy, Vista went RTM in late November or so. It's been available to MSDN subscribers since then.

It's not on sale to the general public until January, yes, but it's not beta anymore.

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

And you'll notice that when dylan posted this, it was October and his post was 100% correct. ;)

20. PatrickF macrumors 6502

Oh you're too clever! My bad, never noticed this thread before.