Quicktime 7

Discussion in 'macOS' started by itchster, Apr 17, 2005.

1. itchster macrumors member

This has been one part of tiger that has been the most interesting for me, the only thing is that are their any comparission screenshots of the difference in quality between QT7 and QT6?

i cant find any anywhere

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Quailty difference for what exactly?

If its the Video that your talking about your more likely to find more by searching for H.264 etc

Or are you meaning in the Application itself?

3. NaMo4184 macrumors member

I've never understood the logic of testing for codecs by taking already compressed video, compressing it in a codec then compressing it to jpeg. Not only that, Its a sill image where as video is moving images. The way compression works is to remove elements of video that are unperceptible to humans. I always thought a still image would bring out those perceptions.

4. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

NaMo4184, if you're into reading about stupid little codecs differences and how they work, I suggest that you read this DrunkenBlog post. It's interesting if you're into that sort of thing.
    -Chase

5. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Will we see keynotes in H.264 and other videos in the near future or :confused:

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

It would depend entirely on the codec used. QT 7 supports H.264 and QT 6 does not. So it be hard to compare quality. But if you are comparing quality of codecs based on data rate and asymmetric efficiencies, you'll find Sorenson V3 and H.264 to lead the pack.

7. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Since the keynotes are already broadcasted in MPEG4 you can bet that once QT 7 is out all broadcasts will use H.264 :)

8. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Thanks

Well that's good :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: QT Keynotes in full screen at full resolution :rolleyes:

9. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Well, I'm not sure about codecs, etc. but there is definitely a difference between the players in QT 6 and 7. The main thing is that QT 7's player is *finally* Cocoa, and in turn is much faster and more responsive. It also has a nice, cleaner design that matches the system better:

[​IMG]

Also, QT 7 Player holds good news for those who use ShapeShifter/system themes - QT Player now uses normal brushed metal, so when you switch themes it'll still match the system. Since it's Cocoa, you can also now mess around with the NIB files and rearrange the interface elements, as well as turn off the metal look, which is very cool.

10. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Well it looks a lot better and hearing that it works better well that's good.....but strange that they removed the apple logo although I don't mind :p

11. Luciano macrumors newbie

HD Footage

I have a production company that has a good bit of uncompressed HD footage, very pristeen. I can encode some of it on H264 and post iton my web server if anyone is interested????? I have a compression program that suports H264. I don't have Tiger yet and therefore can't play it back. I was just at NAB and did find out the data rates and other info on how to properly encode it.