Quicktime and .avi

Discussion in 'macOS' started by spencecb, Jan 25, 2006.

1. spencecb macrumors 6502a

Nov 20, 2003
    This is probably a stupid question, and I am sure it has been discussed before on this forum, but I was just wondering if anyone could help with getting Quicktime to play ALL .avi files. I know if you have Quicktime Pro (which I do) it will play .avi files, but this doesn't mean it will play all .avi files.

For example, when you download .rar files and compile them using a program such as UnRarX, Quicktime Pro will play the video portion of the created .avi file, but it will not play the audio, displaying a message saying that Quicktime does not have the avaivable software to play the file properly.

I know the quick fix to this is to use VLC, and I do use VLC, but the damn thing is just not that optimized of a program. I use it on my G4 and G5, and there are still times when jumping forward in the file, that the video will never catch up (not play at all) while the progress bar is still moving forward.

This is just an annoyance to me, and I was just wondering if someone had some helpful suggestions. Thanks a lot!
  2. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

Dec 12, 2005
    i would like to know this as well, i only get video but not mp3 audo from avi files

PS dont bumb unless its been like 24 hours
  3. Balli macrumors 6502

You guys are probably missing the correct codecs that the AVI's require.

For those of you that do not know what a codec is... imagine that you have a book that you would like to read. You can't read that book until you know how to read the language it was written in. Codecs are like languages. You need to install the codecs on your system in order for your computer to understand the AVI files.

Here is a list of all the codecs I have installed on my Mac:

Alternatively, if you don't mind using another video player, you can install a free program called VLC, which has all the codecs installed within the program, and will play nearly all AVI files.

4. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Apr 16, 2004
    I just ran into problem

I downloaded a video (.avi) from Google video and was missing a codec. I went to get video info -- noticed this -- DivX. Googled it and went here -- www.divx.com. Got codec and installed, video now works. Worth a look into.
  5. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    If it's an older .AVI that requires Indeo codecs, you're SOL. The only Indeo codecs released for QT were for a Classic version of QT. So there's no way to play ALL .avis in Quicktime. Just get as many codecs as you can and hope for the best, when that fails, use VLC or MPlayer.
  6. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 20, 2003
    Thank you, this was very helpful. Only one other question. How do you install the components, such as the AC3 Codec.component and the A52Codec.component? There is no application to launch when trying to open the file.

Also, I ran into a problem trying to install the Apple Intermediate Codec...it says it can not find a version that needs updating when I try to install that one.
  7. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    your best bet would be to get divx, 3ivx and xvid codecs, and one for AC3 audio and that should cover 90% of avis
    and all those .components go into /Library/Quicktime
  8. Balli macrumors 6502

No problems buddy.

The codecs should be placed in the following folder:

Macintosh HD > Library > Quickime

Also you might already have the Apple Intermediate Codec installed on you system. If you do, there should be a file called "AppleIntermediateCodec.component" within the QuickTime folder mentioned above.
  9. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

Dec 1, 2005

FANTASTIC. Thanks a lot buddy. I switched to mac about a couple of months ago. Even though I was completely satisfied there always was this one big problem. To play all my downloaded videos I had to keep switching between 3 players. QT for all it could play, WMP for wmv files and VLC for everything else. Tried everything I could. Even upgraded to QT Pro. But nothing worked.
    Now after installing all those codecs there doesnt seem to be even a single file which my QT cant play. And plays better than any other player.
    There is one more thing I`d like to put up. Why cant I see preview shot of a video as a thumbnail in finder. I could do that in Win XP. It looks much better than an application logo as thumbnail. Am I missing some setting or some thing?
  10. Bern macrumors 68000

Nov 10, 2004
    I'd like to say thanks as well, I always wondered what codecs I would need. :eek:

How often are these codecs updated and how do I check for updated versions? Can I do that from within QT or do I just keep an eye open through Version Tracker?
  11. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

Jul 9, 2005
    The town without George Bailey
    I'm extremely happy with this thread. I loathed having to use three different players too, and now I can just use quicktime. Thanks a lot Balli !

My question is, do I have to update all these codecs manually, or delete the old ones, when the next version of quicktime comes out? Since only a few of the codecs have uninstallers, I'm probably going to forget where I put them. Not that they're taking up any noticeable space on my harddrive, though anyway. :D
  12. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    Just an aside: http://www.fourcc.org/ is another great resource for codec information, particularly when trying to identify the codecs you need for a particular file.

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    You worry for nothing. Codecs get updated in due course, but they tend not to be tied to a particular version of QuickTime. If you need to uninstall a codec, just drag it from the /Library/QuickTime/ folder.
  14. Eclipse10114 macrumors newbie

Jan 14, 2006
    Do these links all work for an Intel Mac because I'm looking to upgrade soon and need these codecs to run? If these dont work, then can someone please direct me to a working site? I am most interested in Flip4Mac WMV and already found a beta version of Divx 6. If anyone has any others, please share. Thanks.
  15. Balli macrumors 6502

In regards to the codes working on an Intel Mac, that is a good question. I do not have the answer I am affraid. But if I was to hazard a guess though, I would say that since the DivX team have released an 'Intel version' of their codec, then this probably means that other developers will have to do the same before you will be able to use all current Mac codecs on the new Intel Macs.

In regards to the codecs being updated, the developers of the various codecs usual take from 6 to 12 months to update the each of the codecs. If you have a .Mac account you can sign up for free daily update alerts on Version Tracker for the software of your choice.
  16. Bern macrumors 68000

Nov 10, 2004

Cool! I have a .Mac account. :D
  17. steelfist macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2005
    using the xvid codec for quicktime dosen't work for me.
  18. Balli macrumors 6502

What, on an Intel Mac?
  19. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Dec 8, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    The problem is that VLC won't play the Indeo codecs either (if you're meaning things like IV50). You can still get them for the OS9 version of QT, though. It's a hassle but if you get a file with one of those old codecs, you can still play it in classic using OS9 QT.
  20. Eclipse10114 macrumors newbie

Jan 14, 2006
    Well one of the reasons I want all my movies to work in Quicktime is for Front Row. I am assuming that Front Row requires your videos to run in Quicktime so I want the codecs to work under an Intel chip so Front Row will work on my MacBook. If anyone has any kind of update on Universal Binary codecs, please post here.
  21. steelfist macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2005
    no no, on my 1.33 ghz ibook. it just dosen't decode. either it's scrambled or blank with the many xvid plugins i instal..
  22. The Void macrumors regular

The Void

Oct 29, 2003
    If you've tried all the above, and you still have an avi that won't play in quicktime, try fixing it with either Divx Tool or ffmpegX (tools>fix, for the latter).

The Void
    Too tired for having fun
  23. eugenia macrumors newbie

May 22, 2006
    North Hollywood, CA
    QuickTime problems

Ok you all - this is my first time here ... and I am not very knowledgeable on how to trouble shoot my 1GHz/768mgs iMac G4 round footprint baby ... its hd crashed last Aug and NOTHING could be retrieved so i had to start all over! <sniff!> LSS - I had QuickTime Pro & now, almost everytime i try to open a file w/it, i get a greyed out symbol w/a ? in the middle! :confused: I don't understand about how to look for codes, etc ... is there a specific place i can look for that?

Also, i have cable hi-speed service and i cannot get my preset time for the computer to shut down to hold! :mad: the wake-up time does, but not the shut down! any suggestions?

24. silverburn macrumors newbie

Apr 24, 2010
    Ah but...

I have a slightly different problem.

I store all my .mp4's on a Mac Mini, running a file server. The Mac mini can play ALL the videos on the share.

However, whenever I access *some* of these mp4's from remote machines I get the "The movie is not in a format Quicktime player understands" message.

The codecs are the same across all machines, and QT is version 10.0 (113) across all machines as well. All machines are 10.6.3, and fully up to date.

Opening with VLC on server = ok, but on remote machines, I get the following error: "access file error: failed to read (input/output error)"

The server's file share drive has been error checked, and everyone has read & write permissions on all media files.

All the .mp4 were created in a "batch" from Handbrake, using identical settings.

Any ideas guys? Really not sure why they play fine locally on the server, but not the remote machines - especially when some work and some don't.