quicktime and itunes crashing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jeffy.dee-lux, May 25, 2005.

1. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

My brother's got a G5 powermac (actually its his roomate's), and he's having trouble after having run software update and updated both itunes and quicktime. here's what he wrote to me:

"all I can remember that I did that was out of the ordinary was when it says you gotta restart your computer I think I might have just shut it down instead by accident, and it's been since then.* I tunes just doesn't respond in any way, the little black arrow on the dock just sits there, and then maybe 10 mins later it says error 1712 as if that means anything to me.* With Quicktime, at lleast the little name in the corner says that the program is up (like it says Quicktime instead of Finder), and the little whirly ballll of colours (oooooh whirly bal of colours) uh, whirls away but like it could do that forever.* When I try to downnload a new version it won't let me because there's already a version on the hard disc, even when I move the existing version to the trash, and I'm afraid to empty the trash with it.* That's basicallly all the details, I don't know if you can glean anything off of that information "

I tried telling him to delete itunes and quicktime and reinstalling them, i know its crude... i guess there are some hidden folders and stuff that he'd need to move to the trash as well and empty it. do you guys think that would work, or is there something seriously wrong that reinstalling won't fix. worse comes to worse, i suppose he could just use this as an excuse to upgrade to tiger, do a clean install. that'd probably do the trick. but his roomate's out of town for a couple months, and my bro might not be so into spending 120 bucks on tiger.

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Trash the iTunes preferences might work. Also, repair permissions, and maybe fsck (look up how to do these here are macrumors.com). If the problems continue, have him download iTunes from the website and have him reinstall it. If still, then a Archive Install might be needed.

3. jeffy.dee-lux thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Yebot macrumors 6502

Yebot

Is ProTools LE installed on the machine?

Quicktime7 software update hoses qtplayer and iTunes if you have ProTools LE.

If this sounds like your problem, read on.

5. jeffy.dee-lux thread starter macrumors 6502a

its quite possible it is installed. i know his roomate is a recording musician and that he uses his computer for recording.

thanks for the heads up