Quicktime and the Nisis DV6 (XVID)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by beige matchbox, Mar 4, 2006.

1. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

Just got one of these little memory card based movie cameras, kinda cool, problem is i get some major blockage when playing back the movie in quicktime (and vlc, mplayer etc.) also if i load the file in safari it crashes every time :rolleyes:

Screenshot:
    [​IMG]

a link to a file as it come off the camera - http://www.beigematchbox.co.uk/CLIP0001.AVI - Click at your own risk, if safari crashes don't complain at me :p

The file is using the xvid codec, do macs have issues with xvid? never really paid it any attention.

And for the record, the movie looks just fine on the cameras LCD, and when i clear my desk i'll try it on my PC, I have a feeling it's a mac/xvid issue though.

I did search by the way, didn't find anything that looked useful though ;)

2. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

3. beige matchbox thread starter macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

Have done made no difference, updated to the latest divx, and now have full audio, which is nice :D (forgot to mention the audio wasn't playing)

Found a workaround, using ffmpegx i can convert from xvid to apples mpeg4, it looses a bit of quality, but once the res is lowered a little to make it a bit more web friendly it looks pretty good and doesn't have all the funky patterns

You can see a movie thats been through the process on my site if anyones intrested http://www.beigematchbox.co.uk/site/mainsite/Movies/E1B62FCC-8014-41EA-ACBB-7315AB4FB11D.html :)

***edit***

Just noticed a black blob right at the end of that movie... :D yay

4. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Not by any means is this the latest XviD codec.

As for the OP's video, I am struck by the fact it has very little image redundancy. This makes it very difficult to compress while maintaining image quality. That particular scene was probably among the worst choices for that camera to record.

6. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

Then what is?

7. beige matchbox thread starter macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

Indeedy, I'm thinking it's just a floored design, and it's not capable of recording when pretty much everything is moving. Still, when i use it for recording in the open it's not too bad, and eventually it will be mounted to a model plane, so will get to see lots of sky.

Very cheap camera, so I'm not too bothered, it'll do the job, and i have a canon XM1 for the proper movie making :cool:

***edit***
    The movie breaks up on my PC too, so it could be that the codec in the camera is slightly different to the ones available for download, i think theres a codec on the CD that came with it, wander if that'll work any better

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This one. It is two years newer.

9. beige matchbox thread starter macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

the download isn't currently working though

"The requested URL is temporarly blocked out on this server."

Would be interesting to try, 2 years newer is almost funny :eek: