quicktime, .avi and casio

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by markglick, Sep 11, 2006.

1. markglick macrumors newbie

i just got a casio exilim Z850. i get blank frames in iphoto when i import. I've head that an app called VLC will playback the .avi files when i transfer them to my hard drive. where do i find it? i've been resisting the blackhole of codecs, converters, etc. but that won't get me watching my camera's video output. if someone would please walk me thru setting up my mini to read the .avi file. (even the casio 1.1 converter doesn't play my video well) also do you know why anyone would update the camera's software - casio offers a video upgrade on their website.

2. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

VLC can be found at www.videolan.org All you have to do is download the program to your computer, transfer the files via Finder to your computer (look for files that end with .avi). The blank/black images in iPhoto should point to the .avi files as well ... right click those files and go "show file", and that should also point you to the .avi file if it transfered over in iPhoto.

To play back the videos in Quicktime, you will need the DivX plugin found at http://www.divx.com/divx/mac/ It's a free codec, and it also includes a six month trial for their "pro" codec (don't worry too much about it) which will allow you to play most .avi files in Quicktime. There are instructions within the package, and it involves dropping the codec into a particular folder, I believe Quicktime -> Plug-in but I'm not sure.