Quicktime Crashes when opening AVI's (on Intel iMAc)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nsheikh80, Apr 23, 2006.

1. nsheikh80 macrumors regular

nsheikh80

Everytime I open an AVI in Quicktime it crashes. If I try to open an AVI through iPhoto it tries to open Quicktime and then Quicktime crashes but iPhoto doesn't. When I try to import these AVI's into iMovie it crashes again, this time taking iMovie down with it.

I have the following codec installed in Quicktime:

AC3
    Xvid
    DivX 6 (latest for Intel)
    3ivx

Now here is the really weird part. I used to have a PPC Powerbook up until last week and the AVI files I am now trying to play in Quicktime worked fine even without any plugins so this is really weaird. Even still, if I came across a file that Quicktime couldn't play it never bombed out on me, it just produced a green or black screen with just some sound.

The AVI plays fine in VLC but I need to edit them in iMovie.

Can anyone help me out with this.

VLC states that this is "araw" format.

2. haroldjohnson macrumors newbie

I'm having the same exact issue; now that I've migrated to an Intel Mac my AVI files crash in QuickTime as soon as I press the play button. This behaviour began right after installing DivX 9 for Mac Intel (beta). I also have 3ivX installed. (To my knowledge, I don't have Xvid nor AC3 installed; in fact, I have very little installed on this new system.)

3. fh2level macrumors regular

fh2level

My AVI's are not crashing my Quicktime but only the sound plays no video :( I also have Divx and 3ivx installed :(

4. haroldjohnson macrumors newbie

I had that issue before installing 3ivX and DivX. Now QuickTime simply opens the file, but when I proceed to click the play button, the app immediately crashes. This is a brand-spankin' new Duo Core system, too -- I've installed very little on it besides these codecs.

5. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Do you have to use QuicKtime? I use VLC and it works fine for just about every format ever made. If you dont mind buying the pro version I also found it to work great some avi files.

6. G99 macrumors 6502

G99

You could use a convertor, such as iSquint to convert most media files to mp4, which is one of Quicktime's primary formats.

7. haroldjohnson macrumors newbie

More than viewing the video, I want to be able to use QuickTime Pro to convert it to a format iMovie can import (with the least amount of quality loss in the process). Sometimes I actually bipass iMovie altogether and simple convert my video straight from QuickTime Pro to the iPod format or some other format. I just recently bought QuickTime Pro for both a Mac and a Windows system, so I'd really like to get it working (as it once was, prior to upgrading to an Intel Mac).

8. rspeaker macrumors 6502

I was having severe troubles, as well, but got some codecs. You might try installing these (even though it looks like you have them.) Just make sure it's all up-to-date; my Intel iMac is working lovely with these.

Divx beta
    intel version of the AC3
    Intel version of XVid

Thanks to TBi and VanNess for the links. Like I said, make sure you've got them... I have zero problems with these codecs.

9. pilavdzic macrumors newbie

I installed these and only these, but avi files still crash quicktime.

You can get a cool AVI to try here: http://www.ronald-dupont.com/funfolder.htm

That one (the most popular ugachaka dancing baby one) doesn't work for me. Does it work for you?

Thanks.

P.S. Just noticed that DivX2 beta converter has expired.. could that be why?

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There is more than one dancing baby video. The first is Cinepak-encoded. The second was done in Adobe Premiere. I didn't bother with the third. The two that I tested worked without problems on my original dual 2.0 GHz PowerMac G5.

11. TAV macrumors regular

The codecs listed for the intel machine will solve a large majority of your issues in getting most common formats in AVI containers to play in Quicktime. In fact, I rarely come across any QT playability issues with simply the DivX, XviD and Flip4Mac intel beta components installed in my library. The AC3 audio component is a little hit and miss.

Having said that, I was experiencing crashes and misc. hardship when I bumped up to the 7.1.+ series QT Player. Reverting back to 7.0.4 solved each and every issue, and I've had zero issues with playback or editing since.

12. coryp420 macrumors newbie

AviImporter

I've been having the same problem with importing movies (from my digital camera) into iPhoto. At first i assumed that it was a corrupted avi that was crashing iPhoto, but i quickly found that iPhoto doesn't discriminate and that it crashed on EVERY avi import.

As a result i went thru my quicktime codecs one-by-one and found that the error was caused by "AviImporter-r7 (Intel).component" from the Xvid codec group. When i moved it out of the Library/Quicktime folder and restarted QT i finally was able to play the movies in QT and import them into iPhoto.

I don't know how this effects Xvid movies right now, but i just placed the component in a seperate folder for use at a later time... Hope this helps someone as at least a temporary fix.

13. designed macrumors 6502

designed

I find it mostly ridiculous that there still isn't a working AC3-codec for Intel Macs. The other one just crashes Quicktime, works with about 1/30 and the other one just plays back the sound full of glitches. Come on, give us a break here! Nice to have FrontRow when it really can't playback that much.

14. Aslevik macrumors newbie

Aslevik

ok I had the same problem: quicktime/iphoto/imovie crashed when I tried to open *.avi (mjpg) clips shot with a canon ixus 430.
    Removed everything under library/quicktime and things where back to normal.

Damn i just wasted 5 hours on this ****. :mad:

15. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

IIRC, your camera produces .avi files encoded in IV50. Such files require the antiquated Indeo™ codecs from Intel. These codecs are bundled with the Classic version of QuickTime, but have not been and will not be ported to MacOS X.

16. Aslevik macrumors newbie

Aslevik

Nah Gspot told me it was Motion Jpg. Anyways it worked after I removed that codec, so now im good to go. Gonna edit a little movie from last weekends festival mayhem :D

17. Makosuke macrumors 603

The original question is rather old, but I noted the poster said he had 3ivx installed on an Intel Mac. To those recommending the 3ivx codec, keep in mind that there is no Intel version available right now, so it could well cause QT problems if you install the PPC one.

Also, in addition to the AC3 QuickTime component mentioned, there's also this one for Core Audio:

http://trac.cod3r.com/a52codec/

Not sure if it enables QuickTime to play AC3 or not (some people on VT said yes, others said no), and I can't test since I don't have any files with AC3 soundtracks.

18. skorry1 macrumors newbie

Quicktime Crash Opening Canon AVI

Quicktime crashed whenever I tried to open an AVI from my Canon Powershot S500. Reading this thread, I thought it was because I needed an Indeo codec. But then I realized that DivX Player would play the files. And then I remembered that when I first got my Mac a few weeks ago, I watched a video from my Canon on it.

So, I dragged all the component codecs onto the desktop, rebooted, and dropped them back into the Library\Quicktime directory ... except for the 3ivx one since, as the last post noted, it is not made for Intel Macs. That one went to the trash. All is well now.

19. mrwoodchuck macrumors newbie

must find and editor

i have been expirencing similar problems with these files. i was able to get VLC to play them correctly, however i must now find an editor or a converter that can run the files. if you have any sugestions, (even an editor i can port the codecs i have to). thanks

20. TheStu macrumors 65816

Perian allows me to play back pretty much any AVI file I can throw at Quicktime.

21. Griffinity macrumors newbie

I can't believe how buggy Quicktime is when playing xvid AVIs. It freezes up pretty often when I open the file, or even while it's playing. And it definitely can't handle fullscreen on a second monitor or even while the second monitor is attached.

I guess I'll try VLC.

As a new Mac user, I just can't believe how bad the native video player performs so far.

22. shimuzu macrumors newbie

Problem solved

I have an intel mac and have been having the same issue. I removed the following codecs:

AC3 Codec (I have an Intel one installed)
    DivX Decoder + Encoder
    ZygoVideo

And installed Perian.
    http://perian.org/

All avi files now play in Quicktime, with sound too.

You may not have to remove codecs - but it worked for me.

*** I put all codecs back after installing Perian, and all works fine - so probably no need to remove the codecs.

23. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I have Perian added to Quicktime and have next to 0 issues with any type of file. If all else fails, VLC.