Quicktime doesn't play flv files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tcamposr, Jan 2, 2007.

1. tcamposr macrumors newbie

Hi:

I was downloading and playing flv files in quicktime using my PowerPC macmini. Since I got an Intel iMac I have not been able to play those files anymore... any thoughts why this could be happening? I don't recall doing anything special with the mini in order to play those files, it just worked fine. I have enable almost everything in quicktime preferences in my new iMac but still can't play them.

Thanks

TC

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

The difference is in the Processor, not the software. Have you tried VLC? It's Intel compatible.

3. tcamposr thread starter macrumors newbie

try VLC

I will try an use it. I just love the way quicktime works and I will hate if I have to use another app just to play those videos. How comes it was working fine with my macmini?

Thanks

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Because your Mini has a PowerPC processor in it. For Intel's you need a Universal Binary program (work with both Intel and PPC) for some programs.

Give it time for a Universal Binary of Quicktime to come out (or whatever plug-in you were using for the FLV files).

5. todd2000 macrumors 68000

This post makes no sense :confused:. Are you saying that QUICKTIME is not Intel compatible? Anyway onto the OPs question.

I just did a quick Google search, and found this plug-in for Quicktime, that lets you play .FLV files. http://www.perian.org. By default Quicktime CAN NOT play FLV files, you must have had some sort of plug-in installed on your old Mac Mini, weather you knew it or not. Im actually happy you asked this question, because up until now I was using FLVThing to play my FLV files, and I didn't really like it. Now that I found this plug-in it works perfectly.

PS. Contrary to what everyone says I have never been able to open an FLV file with VLC

6. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I reiterate Quicktime IS a Universal Binary, that has nothing to do with the OPs problem. You do realize that quicktime is not a plug-in right? http://www.apple.com/quicktime

7. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

does anyone know why my quicktime suddenly cannot play FLVs?

It used to do so flawlessly, I have perian installed, disk permissions are OK, there is no errors anywhere that I know of, and yet it recently keeps saying "Error -50"

this is an intel based iMac

8. eddiebax macrumors newbie

Waiting for Perian to update

I had the same problem with perian; without it, QT plays flv files with no sound. Until perian updates the plugin, I've been using realplayer, but I miss being able to edit the files in QTPro.

9. dlichtdotcom macrumors newbie

dlichtdotcom

Thank you for this! :)

10. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Thanks for the info as well, now I can watch .AVI files too. :)