QuickTime files to DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Artful Dodger, May 27, 2005.

1. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi, my question comes after a long search (maybe I didn't use the right terms) I know it's pretty easy but here it is. I have the 3rd season of RedvsBlue (Halo) and (legal) each episode is in QuickTime format (.mov), how can I put all of these onto one dvd? Would I import them into iMovie or just use Toast 6 and burn them to dvd? I would like to add chapters (iDVD). Also I don't have QT Pro yet (will be getting next week).
    Sorry if it's an easy one but I've never tried to burn QT files before and use Toast 6 for burning other things than QT files for my stand alone dvd player, thanks for the help and input ;)

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Just drag and drop them into iMovie and do the chapters thing in it, then export into iDVD. You can't do chapters in iDVD itself.

3. Artful Dodger thread starter macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

4. Artful Dodger thread starter macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Update

Okay so everything was going ok until I put the QT folder of RedvsBlue into Toast 6, thought I should make a SVCD but it starts to encode, gets half way through and quits.
    This lead me to do as above and put it in iMovie--great but 2 things:
    When I put the files into iMovie it tells me it will take 396 mins and each file that is placed into iMovie ends up being about 1-1.2 gigs large :eek:
    That would be ok but the season has 18 episodes. Did I do something wrong or is this normal?
    When I tried to make the SVCD it said 2.3gigs total but the folder with all QT files is 676mb :confused: any help would be great as I feel it may not be worth it to make these into a DVD for me, thanks again.

5. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Excuse me if I don't use the proper terms, but burning QT files as either a SVCD or a DVD needs reencoding of the files, which end up being larger than the original ones. You have to adjust bitrates or other things to make the result smaller.

6. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

hey, (i think) when you add the quicktime files into imovie, it will convert them to 'dv' files (i.e. like what comes out of your camcorder). this can obviously be a problem if you dont have 20gb spare on your hd...

still, the best way is probably to add them to imovie and then switch them over to idvd. but, if you want them to play in your dvd player, think about time..

1 episode is normally 20 mins. a dvd can hold a max of 120 mins. so 6 episodes on 1 dvd. to get the entire season onto dvd, you'll need 3 discs, that sounds about right. (of course, they may not be 20 mins each..)

7. Artful Dodger thread starter macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi, thanks most of the episodes are about 7-8 mins. each and I should have split them up into 2 or 3 dvds (what a noob move ;) ) anyway I'm going to try to take 6 at a time and bring them into iMovie and then into iDVD so that should help out plenty.
    Thanks again as it now makes sence, why I didn't think before :rolleyes:
    Side note: now i can see why some like DP Macs "time saver" :D