QuickTime ID tags overriding iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nermal, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have a couple of .mov-format music videos, which have the artist name and song title in the "Name" tag, and this seems to override what I set in iTunes.

When I first import the videos into iTunes, they get tagged like this:
    Name: Artist - Title
    Artist: (Blank)

I can do a Get Info and re-tag them like this:
    Name: Title
    Artist: Artist

However, as soon as I try to play the video, or do another Get Info, the Name tag changes back to "Artist - Title" (the Artist tag stays the same). I'm guessing that when I change the tags, iTunes is writing the changes to its library file instead of back to the .mov, and then when I access the file again it copies the tags back across.

Hopefully that made sense, it was a bit tricky to explain. Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?

By the way, it's not a computer- or account-related problem as this has been happening across three computers, possibly from as far back as iTunes 4 (did that support video? Maybe it was 5). I just haven't really worried about it until now, but with a video iPod on the way I want to get this all working properly :)

2. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

OK, my iPod's here, and the videos won't transfer across. However, the Export option in QT Pro is greyed out! iTunes won't convert them either - "Name could not be converted because this file does not allow saving or conversion."

What's going on here? :confused:

3. capiendo macrumors newbie

capiendo

your .mov file probably has a 'nsav' atom that's set to prevent changes and editing.

there is an Apple tool, Dumpster (scroll to the page bottom), that might help you, depending if your movie is meta-data compressed or not. if your movie is meta-data compressed (Dumpster will let you know if it can edit or not), you're out of luck.

if your .mov file is not meta-data compressed, open it with Dumpster. then look for the 'nsav' atom by expanding the tree by clicking. you should see a 'nsav' field with a value of 0001. change it to 0000 and save. close the file. you should now be able to edit and convert your .mov file.

4. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

They're compressed :(

The video iPods didn't even exist when this CD was made, so I bet the record company didn't even consider that people would want to convert the videos to a different format :(