Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

point665

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2004
I have a problem where Quicktime will cause my G5 to lock up, its only happening in Tiger, I have already reinstalled(Archive and install) because of this to no help, deleted prefs, removed Divx player... nothing, Quicktime will lockup the whole computer (sometimes mouse moves, sometimes it doesnt) and I have to force shutdown... It happens sometimes when I hit play, sometimes when I full screen, sometimes just out of nowhere... I havent seen any other posts like this, console shows nothing about it (only thing at same time was a SMU message but maybe that was from me holding down power button to force a reboot?)

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Did you remove the Divx Player app or the Divx Component codec?

/Library/Quicktime/DivX 5.component ? This is what can mess up Quicktime 7.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
point665 said:
I have a problem where Quicktime will cause my G5 to lock up, its only happening in Tiger, I have already reinstalled(Archive and install) because of this to no help, deleted prefs, removed Divx player... nothing, Quicktime will lockup the whole computer (sometimes mouse moves, sometimes it doesnt) and I have to force shutdown... It happens sometimes when I hit play, sometimes when I full screen, sometimes just out of nowhere... I havent seen any other posts like this, console shows nothing about it (only thing at same time was a SMU message but maybe that was from me holding down power button to force a reboot?)
Why don't you open the console program in Applications/Utilities folder.
Have the console open, and do what it takes to cause a freeze.
See if anything is written. You may have to open it after a restart and see if it wrote anything. I could also be hardware....

If all else fails, try an Apple store...

point665

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2004
Ive removed the Divx component, and nothing gets written but I will try having Console open just to see... Im also gonna try to shutdown the machine next time I have a creash and leave it unplugged to reset the SMU (only error message I was seeing).

point665

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2004
So I re-produced the crash, this time by having a Quicktime movie open and going fully screen, system locked up. When I boot the Console app isnt launched, its because nothing gets saved if you know what I mean, if I change something on the computer it goes back to the way it was the boot before.

Edit: I had previsously deleted the preferences for "Quicktime" and now just found them for "Quicktime Player" (deleted them) Im going to see how things work out and let you guys know.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
point665 said:
So I re-produced the crash, this time by having a Quicktime movie open and going fully screen, system locked up. When I boot the Console app isnt launched, its because nothing gets saved if you know what I mean, if I change something on the computer it goes back to the way it was the boot before.

Edit: I had previsously deleted the preferences for "Quicktime" and now just found them for "Quicktime Player" (deleted them) Im going to see how things work out and let you guys know.
Its very possible there is either a bad driver carried over from your previous install or there is a hardware problem.
I would try the hardware test cd, and if it finds no problems, install a fresh non-upgraded tiger on an external drive and see if the crashed still occur.

Thorne^

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2005
Germany
point665 said:

Hello point665

Your freeze problem is known to me. Assume you have a Power Mac G5 1.8 SP with a Radeon 9600XT.

Is TIGER freezing when running a full screen slideshow in Preview 3.0, in Spotlight or iPhoto 5.x and when running a full screen video in Quicktime or sometimes when running a video in Safari? Not just after the Mac has booted, but a few hours later ?

If you look at Apples Support Forum, you will find a few ppl who report the same problem.
Im not sure is it allowed to post a link to the thread, so i just say the topic name "Quicktime 7 and Preview 3.0 Diashow let Tiger often freeze"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.