QuickTime no longer plays DivX after archive and install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lamina, Jul 25, 2006.

1. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

After a archive and installed, QuickTime no longer plays DivX. I reinstalled QuickTime, and still no luck... Think the archive and install could have messed up the codecs or something?

2. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

Re-installed DivX component, works fine...

Thanks for the help! :D

3. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

No, but it wouldn't transfer frameworks or other support files that are installed in the system folder by third-party apps. You will need to reinstall Divx.

I did an archive and install recently for two reasons. One was that I never have done one before and I wanted to see what would happen. The other was to reinstall the OS as a general preventative maintenance measure, although it had never given me any trouble.

Well, lesson learned. I'll never do that again. Although archive and install supposedly retains user apps and settings, etc. (if you have checked that preference), it appears there is a lot that it misses - particularly with third-party apps. But it's not even limited to that. Even some of Apple's own apps can get hosed by archive and install as, again, I found out the hard way.

The bottom line is that, after an archive and install, if you find some of your apps are misbehaving or not working at all, be prepared to reinstall. (Unless you have specific knowledge of the location of missing files in your previous system folder, which you probably don't, and even if you did, it wouldn't help you with resolving some of the problems I linked to above. It still boils down to a reinstall).