Quicktime no sound

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by londonweb, Dec 4, 2006.

1. londonweb macrumors 6502

londonweb

I've no idea what I did but all of sudden Quicktime won't play any sound with a movie - the little meters in the bottom right appear to be 'stuck', and I get picture but not a jot of audio.

I installed the security update yesterday but aside from that I've done nothing I can think of to change anything.

Any ideas?

2. TJIrwin macrumors member

Check your MIDI setup in your utilities folder. Make sure nothing has moved the output format away from 44kHz.

3. londonweb thread starter macrumors 6502

londonweb

Hey! Well done, that was it. No idea why, but the audio had changed to 96khz. Thanks a lot.

4. TJIrwin macrumors member

It's happened a couple of times to me. Some Pro apps like to mess around with your MIDI without telling you it seems.

Glad to help.

5. kkumar99 macrumors newbie

same problem...not fixed

i'm having the same problem with mpeg and avi (qt works ok with mov files)...tried the midi change back to 44 with no luck...any other suggestions? I also tried adding the vlc plugin for firefox, but the movies still keep opening with quicktime. I'm not a huge fan of quicktime, and would prefer the vlc option. I tried going into ff preferences and managing the apps ff uses. However, qt is still opening the movies and now the options for mpegs and avis are completely gone in the "manage" portion of ff. Any ideas?