Quicktime or VLC guru needed!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dazboardrider, Nov 14, 2006.

1. dazboardrider macrumors member

Aug 1, 2006

Everyweek I download a movie compressed with a video codec X264 (which apparently is different to H.264). Now I have the x264 codec and every other codec I can find in my quicktime folder but I still get a blank screen with only the sound.

Ive tried using VLC but the movie plays all pixaly and is skipping alot!
    When I play it on VLC on my PC it works fine, but im trying to find a way to play it on my mac.

When I check the movie info/properties in quicktime it tells me this:
    H.264 Decoder, 720 x 544, Millions
    AAC, Stereo (L R), 24.000 kHz
    25 FPS

Is there anyone who could help me get this to play?? Cheers!

PS I have a ibook G4 power PC 1.33ghz, 1.5 Gig Ram
  2. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2003
    Thunder Bay, ON
    No chance for smooth playback on a G4 especially at that resolution.
  3. dazboardrider thread starter macrumors member

Aug 1, 2006
    Wierd, because my PC is OLD! and it works fine on that. My mac is less than a year old and it cant even play the files I want. Ahh well.

Is the file im trying to play High Definition or somthing?

Is there anyway to downsize the resolution on my computer. MPEG Streamclip also just shows a blank screen when I open the file.

4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    VLC on the Mac is not as good as it is on Windows/Linux - some codecs are missing for instance (dig through the release notes and you'll see mentions of this). I believe the problems are related to Endian issues PPC vs x86.
  5. Yuvi macrumors member

Jun 27, 2006
    It's not.

Try with MPlayer; it's a bit more efficient than VLC (http://mplayerhq.hu)

Two reasons for this: VLC (and MPlayer) is more optimized for x86 than PPC, and the G4 was an old chip even when your PowerBook was new; it was only used a year ago for lack of an alternative (the G5 sucked too much power, and the Intel chips weren't ready yet.)
  6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Nov 3, 2005
  7. dazboardrider thread starter macrumors member

Aug 1, 2006
    Wow you guys are fast with help!

I tryed Mplayer and that didnt work. I also already had perian in my quicktime file already. Infact I spent the whole day yesterday getting every free codec and just put it in my quicktime file!

Ok so we've determined that my G4 processor cant run this file. My new question is;
    Even though my computer cant play this file is there any way for me to change it to a file type that will work??.

I tryed exporting it with quicktime pro to a lower resolution but the outcome was a blankscreen again. And MPEG streamclip is blank also.
    If VLC had some export function I thought it might work as it is picking up the frames, its just not running smoothly!

Thanks again for the help, its appreciated!

PS would the new macs with intel chips run this file?
  8. dazboardrider thread starter macrumors member

Aug 1, 2006

Ok just got it running!!!!!! And it runs well!

I went to the mplayer website and downloaded the rp9codecs package. It seems to have worked a charm! It now works with mplayer.

Thanks again for all the help!
  9. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2003
    Thunder Bay, ON
    QT is lacking big time in h.264/AVC support it doesn't support all the advanced features of th mpeg-4 part 10 spec. Mainly B-frames is why you get the white screen in QT.

Also the file you have probably was encoded with CABAC which is highly CPU intensive to decode.

The 480p h.264 trailers work OK from the Apple site because they don't have any of the advanced encoding features enabled.