Quicktime Player Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by itcheroni, Mar 23, 2006.

1. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

Okay, I'm retarded. I double click on a video I want to watch. A message pops up (I don't know what I did but it doesn't pop up any more, though the results are the same) saying I may need to get a plug in. If I click continue, it takes me to the Quicktime (resources or components page) site, if I click cancel, nothing happens.

So my question is: what do I need to do to watch this episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm I got? It's also like this for a good 20-30% of all videos.

2. adese macrumors member

adese

I'm assuming you are on ppc?

well I would also assume that you are looking to play a .avi file? In this case you need to install DIVX. Here is the link:

http://www.divx.com/divx/mac/divxpro/

just do a trial download, its going to install a sub file in quicktime so that even when the "trial" runs out it will still be able to play divx supported movies.

also try using VLC for your movie player, it plays virtually everything, and it plays avi's very well if you are on a slower machine:

www.videolan.org

3. adese macrumors member

adese

I've actually never come across the trial "running out," so its all good.

oh and Curb is an excellent show, good deal

4. itcheroni thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, so I've downloaded it and installed it, but I'm not sure what you mean about the sub file.

5. adese macrumors member

adese

dont worry about it, just know it will work

if it doesnt for some reason, try rebooting

6. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

He's referring to the plug-in that gets installed. When you install the Trial divx package for Mac, the divx plug-in gets installed in the Quicktime component/plugin folder, while the trial divx encoder app gets installed in the apps folder(which expires after a while, though the plugin doesn't).

7. itcheroni thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awesome, it works! Thank you so much. When it didn't work, I thought it might have something to do with that folder thingy. As you can see I'm not much of a techie. But hey, it works. Thanks!

8. itcheroni thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, most of them work now but a few still have that same message pop up. For example, a Family Guy episode (Chitty Chitty Bang Death) has that message pop up. It can play but there's no sound. Any idea what's wrong?

9. The Void macrumors regular

The Void