QUICKTIME PLAYS IN THE DOCK!?!?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by biohazard6969, Mar 28, 2005.

1. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

ok i must be rele stupid for just realizing this, but did neone else know that quicktime will still play movies and stuff when it is minimized in the dock?

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Yep, it's also still playing as the window minimises down with the genie effect, and there is a way of freezing the window mid-genie so to speak, which leaves a totally twisted still active QT movie... :D

3. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Yup, I remember seeing Steve showoff that feature in a keynote showing off OSX a long time ago. I don't remember how long, but it was back in the ZDTV days, cuz that's where I saw it, the keynote was simicast live on ZDTV, man I miss those days.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Welcome to 2001.

5. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

I know this is an old thread, but it seems appropriate for my question. I switched right after OS X.1 was released and always took for granted that QuickTime movies continue to play after being minimized to the dock. I just noticed, however, that mine no longer do this. Iin fact, I can't recall them doing this ever since I upgraded to Tiger. Do I need to enable some option to do this, or remove a troublesome codec? Any suggestions are appreciated

6. haiggy macrumors 65816

Mine still play just fine in the dock. No problems. I don't know about having to have anything selected. :confused:

7. risc macrumors 68030

risc

There was a problem with Tiger not doing this correct if you had DivX 5.x installed, which version of DivX are you using?

8. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

this is one of the things i show off to people that dont have a mac. I even got a "wow thats cool!" out of a hard core windows user.

But how do you freeze the genie effect midway?

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

As it is going, I believe you kill the Dock process. (killall Dock in the Terminal)

Then the Dock restarts... but leaves a malformed window there. That's what I remember.

10. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

That's strange, I thought this was a new feature with QuickTime 7. Didn't realize that earlier versions of QT did the same thing. Anyway, it works fine for me in Tiger, as well as with QT 7 in Panther.

11. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

Don't know about freezing it, but you can slow it down by holding down the shift key while minimizing or restoring from the dock. You can slow it down even further by holding down shift and control while minimizing or restoring from the dock.

12. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Here's how to freeze the genie effect.

First, open Terminal and type the following but don't press return: killall Dock
    Next, hold control and shift and click the minimize button.
    Quickly switch to Terminal.
    When the window is at the point you want to freeze it, hit enter in Terminal

The window will stay frozen until you minimize it and then restore it.

13. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Using DivX 6 now, which I thought was supposed to solve all the issues - it did fix the problem I had with not being able to maximize QuickTime after sending it to the dock; I was having to go back to the Finder, bring up the icon and click it.

I'll try reinstalling it, see if that works.