QuickTime Pro Buy Now or wait

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cheese, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Cheese macrumors 6502

Cheese

In the refrigerated section at your grocer
    QuickTime Pro has fans and foes, but I want advice as to whether, and why I should buy now, or wait to get a PRO key for Quicktime. I am running 10.3.9 and waiting for Leopard to upgrade my OS. There seems to be a growing amount of web content that cannot be opened by QT, so I am not convinced that QT is staying in its current form for much longer.

2. Cheese thread starter macrumors 6502

Cheese

Another quick question I would like to ask (only slightly off topic) is: Would anyone like to share their experience of following the advice of the MR buyers guide? I am wondering what it will be like to get the most mileage out of my next mac, and if you think following the guide is the best way to do that. Thanks.

3. Selenolycus macrumors regular

4. Cheese thread starter macrumors 6502

Cheese

To have a video/media player that works seemlessly with my computer, to open, play, encode and decode media for my applications and files of course. I have always had  on all of my computers, but have always wondered about the advanced functionality of QT Pro.

5. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

As has already been asked, the big question is why do you want QT Pro?

I'd at least wait until the rumored Feburary Apple special event, where presumably they'll update us on Leopard, iWork etc. If it doesn't have a major QT update included (which would surprise me), then buy. If it does, wait.

Until then VLC works very well, including WMV files, and it has similar full screen controls to QT.

AppleMatt

6. isleofjib macrumors regular

what does pro do that the normal QT doesn't? does it allow you to edit? it doesn't say much in the way of specifics on the mac website...

VLC is great and it's free. the only thing i can think of that QT does that VLC doesn't do is frame by frame advance.

7. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Yes you can cut and paste clips around, and also you get the ability to export to just about anything- series of images, .mov to .avi, allows for different compressions, and custom movie dimentions.

I guess my only advice is that if you really need it (it's not going to help with not being able to see things online), get it. It's $20!

When QT 8 comes out, and if you had bought the Pro version, you can get that as well. It's going to be $20!

If you just want something that will help you with watching stuff on your computer, get VLC.

8. shecky Guest

shecky

pro allows you to edit and re-encode clips, and save most streaming QT clips.