Quicktime Pro Code - only good for one?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chameeeleon, Aug 31, 2004.

1. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

I just ordered my first Mac, one of the new iMacs, and I picked up a few programs while I was at it, one of them being QuickTime Pro. What I was wondering was whether the code I got can only be used once, or if it's the typical 3-system deal. I want to give the code to a friend, so we can both get the Pro version, but not if I won't be able to register mine when my iMac (eventually) arrives.

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Tell your friend to pony up the $29.99 and stop pirating software.

3. chameeeleon thread starter macrumors 6502

How would it be pirating if Quicktime ALLOWED for the registration code to be used on multiple Macs? That's what I started this post to ask! If it did, I figured I might as well as make use of that. Is installing Mac Office on 2 computers also "pirating"?

4. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Technically, it is! Unless you have 2 serial #s, it's supposedly considered pirating, but for me, since the student edition has 3 keys, I'm technically not pirating anything :D

5. chameeeleon thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't know that about Mac Office, lol - for the Windows version there was just one code that you could use 3 times. Ok, anyways, I take it that the Quicktime code is a one-time thing. Thanks for your help.

6. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Yeah, I'm almost positive that QT Pro codes are single-user only.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

QT Pro codes are single-user. Definitely. Volume licenses are available separately.

8. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

there's also the issue of "users." even if QT pro allowed installation on multiple computers, giving the code to your friend may not be allowed. it's possible that you are allowed to install on two Macs but only if they are both owned by the same person. (ex. laptop and desktop)

in any case, i am pretty sure QT pro is single installation/user.

9. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Legal issues aside, yes, you can use the QT Pro code on as many computers as you want (I don't think PC / Mac codes are interchangable).

This brings up another question, is it still pirating to use the same code for seperate accounts on the same computer?