QuickTime Pro taken away by Apple!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by all-in-my-head, May 3, 2005.

1. all-in-my-head macrumors member

Still running Panther (waiting to see how tiger works out) and did my usual update routine, which included QuickTime 7.

So i install it along with security update etc etc and now my Pro features are no longer available. Such as save move from web, full screen mode and all the rest.

I understand that QT 7 is a complete new version, but as it was labelled on the Software Updater as a an "update" i did not expect to loose the Pro functionality i had already PAID for previously.

Is there any way of uninstalling this update to get back to QT 6.x and my pro features?? At least until i decide i want to pay for the QT7Pro update, which i assumed i would have to when getting Tiger.

S

2. iGary Guest

iGary

You ought to call Apple, give them your key number and ask what's up.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm sorry - I don't know of any way to go back unless you have backups from before the update.

In all fairness, there were warnings on the site as well as in Software Update that QT7 would require a purchase of a new Pro license.

FWIW, the QT7 Pro version is quite nice and, I think, easily worth the cost.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

Ah, good to know. I just bought Pro last week. Finally.

5. all-in-my-head thread starter macrumors member

ah nice one. thanks for that. trying it now.

did have a look but couldn't see much on apple's site.

guess i'll learn to read through those agreements when installing/updating rather than clicking through them!

6. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Cough up another $30. QT7 Pro is worth it. Trying to go back to QT6 will be more of a headache then it is worth.

The new controls in full screen was alone worth the $30 to me.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

8. davinche macrumors regular

davinche

QT 6.5.2 Reinstaller

http://wsidecar.apple.com/cgi-bin/n...osx&method=sa/QuickTime_6.5.2_ReInstaller.dmg
    Here is the link from Apple's support site that allows you to reinstall QT 6.5.2 and I would guess allow you to use your old key.

OOPS Guess I waited to long to submit the response...

9. all-in-my-head thread starter macrumors member

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm not going to update until I get FCP Studio - and that will come with a key. Is anyone running FCP with QT7 now?

I'm going to post this question in the digital video forum....

D

11. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Maybe next time you should read the stuff it says at you install. There is a point where is says that you will lose your pro key by upgrading to 7.

12. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Saw this on hardmac.com, perhaps it might help:

According to XLR8yourmac, it ought to be possible to use *some* PRO features of QT7 in QT 6.5.2 without shelling out the cash for a licence. To achieve that, you'll need an installed copy of QT 6.5.2 PRO. Then, copy the Quicktime Player app bundle onto your tiger boot drive and rename it.
    We haven't tested this hint, so feel free to send us your success/failure reports.

Btw, for those only wanting to play things in fullscreen, Roland reminded us that you just need to create a small applescript containing the following code :

tell application "QuickTime Player"
    present front movie scale screen
    end tell