Quicktime Pro vs iMovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by TaikoX25, Dec 27, 2006.

1. TaikoX25 macrumors newbie

I just bought a video camera and I want to know the best way to import and esdit my movies. What are the differences between Quicktime Pro and iMovie? If I already have iMovie do i need to buy Quicktime Pro?
    :confused:

2. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

There's no connection. Just import your movie to iMovie and fiddle away. Then when you've finished burn it with iDVD.

3. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

QuickTime Pro is handy for minor editing, file conversion, etc. If you're working on a big project, iMovie is probably what you need.

4. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

If you look at File > Share in iMovie it'll give you many options for saving your movie other than burning to iDVD. One of these options is to QT and you can choose the size. Of course you won't need QT Pro for just playing back a movie.

5. TaikoX25 thread starter macrumors newbie

So iMovie does everything that Quicktime Pro does and there's no need to have both.

6. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

No, they have different purposes. Quicktime is a player and iMovie is a movie editor. Yes, iMovie has a lot of more features, but Quicktime is just a simple player with some added features.

Luis

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

iMovie is the simplest thing to use. It will do basic editing. QT Pro allows for only trimming clips. As an editor is is very limitied and not very easy to use but it does allow you to transcode and convert video.

8. tongzilla macrumors newbie

can someone pls tell me...

what can Quicktime Pro do that iMovie cannot?

thanks.

9. ShadowXOR macrumors regular

I know it's an old thread but I would like to know this as well, thanks!

10. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Playing movie/audio files easily (saving the need to open a much heavier and resource intensive program)

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Quicktime Pro and iMovie are Apples and Oranges. That's like asking, "what does iPhoto do that Safari doesn't?" Considering they both can look at photos.

Anyway Quicktime can convert media files to different formats, something iMovie can't do.

12. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Oh and just remembered, Quicktime is used to view streaming videos (such as Keynotes), thing iMovie can't do.

But yeah, as tuffluffjimmy and I in my previous previous post mentioned, the are apples and oranges

13. ShadowXOR macrumors regular

I know that one is a player and an editor primarily, but when you buy QuickTime Pro it adds additional features including editing, and I'm curious of the differences between those.

14. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

did you skip over the part about it converting files? Wait-- yes, you did.

15. ShadowXOR macrumors regular

iMovie does this too I heard. No need to be an ass, I haven't gotten a comparison that really makes sense of why I should buy QuickTime Pro when my computer comes with iMovie. My question has not been answered, if you aren't the man to do it just move on, thanks.

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

not the same way as quicktime, quicktime also works with audio files. Really if you're working with any media (other than photos) quicktime pro is a good thing to have. You can usually find a work around to do the same thing as quicktime pro, but for free, but it will always take longer.

Just trust me, eventually you'll want to hit a little button in quicktime that is greyed out because you need quicktime pro.

17. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Don't buy it then. If you are incapable of getting the difference between a player and an editor then you aren't going to be happy with anybody's comparison. In my opinion, QTP is a nifty little program that gets you out of jobs you need done (converting files, opening some random audio/video file rapidly/cutting something really fast/microphone recording on the go/etc) swiftly and effectively without too much work, and it does this great. It saves you the pain of having to create a new iMovie project every single time you need something really small done.

18. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Here's a list of the differences between the free and Pro QT versions:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=24374

You'll probably use QT to play files you receive by email, download, etc. You'll use iMovie to edit and share the movies you make. So I'm guessing you don't need QT Pro at this point in time.

I think I bought QT Pro eons ago for the full screen playback.

19. ShadowXOR macrumors regular

I remember when they locked that down, but it's now a free feature again.

20. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

21. smallard macrumors newbie

Quicktime Pro v iMovie

I had the same question and ended up buying QTP for just one function - the ability to loop video.

I created a video in iMovie and exported it to AppleTV, with the intent of having it playing soundlessly in the background at parties. However, ATV has no way to make it loop.

But you can import your video into QTP, do view>loop then hit save, re-export to ATV and bingo, a continuous loop.

Now I've spent the $29.99, maybe I'll find other uses for QTP but don't spend the money for converting between formats - freeware like VisualHub, Handbrake, Mac the Ripper etc all do that very well, and for free.

SM

22. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Mpeg streamclip also converts formats, but for SD only. If your using iMovie HD, which I think is better than iMovie 8, check out http://www.geethree.com/index.html for some awesome transitions.