Quicktime Pro vs. VLC Player? Disregard money.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Steve Jobless, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Steve Jobless macrumors 6502

Right now I have the option of which to keep. I like VLC (free) but it seems buggy and often crashes making it a dubious task to watch a 20 minute clip. I'm considering quicktime pro since it supports all the media types that VLC supports and is native apple. again disregard the money issue.

thanks

2. vniow macrumors G4

3. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

VLC seems to do a better job. An HD video stutters in Quicktime at full screen but vlc has no issues. These videos have a flash layer on top so you can click web addresses and stuff, but vlc ignores it.

4. breakfastcrew macrumors 6502

I think vlc supports quite a few more format than qt pro.

5. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

I personally use Quicktime Pro whenever possible. I just throw anything it can't play into VLC. If you will also be converting/exporting a lot of videos then Quicktime Pro can export to an awfull lot of formats. Quicktime just feels a little more complete and intergrated to me.

6. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

I reckon Quicktime Pro with all it's plug-ins does a pretty good job of playing video's for me.

7. TAV macrumors regular

QT Pro offers zero in terms of additional media compatibility versus standard QT. QT Pro is just as limited in its ability to decode video and audio as QT Pro.

Are you under the false assumption that the Pro version of QT includes some sort of additional audio and video decoders? If so, you are incorrect.

Anything that doesn't play in QT doesn't play in QTPro. Editing is a completely separate issue, but not one that you raised.

Native QT (without the support of additional codecs) cannot play many of the "media types" that VLC can.

I am a huge fan of QT and its Pro capabilities, but your ability to "play" media files has nothing to do with QT/QTPro, and everything to do with the video and audio codecs you have installed, the player apps you have installed, as well as the ability of your setup to handle video files with various specs.

8. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

I like QT Pro. It is simple and it looks great. I have VLC but I only use it when QT doesn't play something, which doesn't happen a lot after all the QT plug ins.

The Stig

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

VLC only takes 41.4mb on disk, are you in a situation to save that much space? :confused:

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

All very true....

For what it's worth, I've found that, since Perian came out and F4M became free, videos not working in QT has become basically a non-issue, with some specific exceptions (QT cannot stream TV from my DVR, but VLC can). However, in any event, I don't see any reason to go and delete VLC....

11. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Yes, VLC is a work in progress. Also, the VLC user expects the developers to provide all player functionality. You cannot add new functionality.

Stability issues aside, the jist of this question is somewhat akin to asking which is better, Adobe Acrobat Professional or Preview. VLC is multiformat media player, period. The fee paid for QuickTime Pro unlocks the QuickTime Player's media editing and format conversion functions. It does not add playable media formats. With the proper codecs installed, the free QuickTime Player will play darned near everything. If all you want to do is to play video, then paying the QuickTime Pro fee is a waste of money.

12. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I have both QT Pro and VLC (0.8.6 now) and I absolutely hate VLC. I use it only to play wmv files.

VLC is very buggy. It doesnt stop/start at the same time as I press the Play button or the space bar. In VLC when you point to another part of the video in the progress bar, the picture stays at the last frame it played, but slowly, through heavy pixelating daws currect frames. The video starts later than audio when you start playing a movie (but a/v are in sync during playback). The conrol hud in the full-screen mode doesnt work as it should, sometimes it does, but not very often. It usually flickers along with the mouse cursor when you move the mouse, but when you stop the motion, it just says invisible instead of showing up. When openning a movie, an error wondow appears with a list of errors, so you have to clock "Dismiss" all the time. This also occurs when you scroll to another part of a movie with the progress bar.

:mad: I dont know if this happens only with wmv videos, but its the only format I'm using VLC for. Hope things get better when 1.0 version is released.

13. Millwood macrumors regular

I completely agree. I think VLC is generally better, but playing WMV material Quicktime is better (with flip4mac of course).

14. Fillado macrumors member

15. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

flip4mac and Perian and it plays just about everything :p

16. slicedbread macrumors regular

any idea how to get QT (+ plugins) to work with .mkv files? They are the only filetype I can't get working in QT, and have to resort to MKV for them.

I have flip4mac and perian installed...

But for the OP, use QT for everything that it can with plugins, and keep VLC for the rare filetypes that dont work with QT.

17. yudilks macrumors regular

What codec should I install to play real media file in quicktime?

18. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is amazing what a Google search will reveal.

19. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

I agree with those who say VLC is too buggy. It has some issues that always interfere with enjoyable video watching. I keep it around for specialized uses (out-of-region DVDs, unusual video formats) and use Quicktime Pro or Front Row whenever possible.

20. shidoshi macrumors regular

Get ahold of the nightly builds of Perian - they play far more than the current public build, including MKV containers, subtitle files, High Profile h.264, and more.

Personally, I can't stand VLC. And now that Flip4Mac + nightly build Perian plays pretty much everything I want to play in QuickTime Player, I have almost no reason to even bother with the app.

21. vniow macrumors G4

Where does one get these nightlies?

22. shidoshi macrumors regular

From a friend who knows how to get and build them, like I do. *laughs* Unfortunately, I don't know much more than that. I'd say poke around the Perian website and find the source code downloads.