Quicktime Pro...?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gonnabuyamac, Jan 5, 2007.

1. gonnabuyamac macrumors 6502

What's the advantage of having Quicktime Pro. Is it even worth it?

2. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

You can read all about it here. IMO, it's not really worth it, but it depends what you would be using it for. The main annoyance many people have with QT is the lack of ability to go full screen, which QT Pro offers, however there are work-arounds so this is really a moot point and definitely not a reason to buy QT Pro. :cool:

3. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

i use quicktime pro for 3 reasons:

1. full-screen (though as noted above, pro is not "really" necessary)

2. Editing a movie into shorter clips (very basic, but nice).

3. exporting into different file formats/sizes (or is this a basic ability? i've forgotten...)

4. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

There have been many who have been unhappy with the latest QTP update 7.1.3 which breaks code for several useful apps including Flip4Mac, and have switched back to 7.1.2 by way of reinstalling 7.0.1 and doing the incremental updates back up. It does have some features which are handy. macfixit has some recommendations for members.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

6. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

It's not an accross the board experience, but was enough for flip4mac to comment on issues back in September/October. There's another thread in MR (sorry I can't find it with Search) which discusses members' negative experience with 7.1.3 and having changed back.

I don't use flip4mac all that much, but have had features from Player Scripts (Select X Seconds) which did not work for some reason with the update. Dunno, maybe there's just a handful. Seemed like I'd read about similar problems from a few, though.
    Add: FWIW - Found the thread: Problems with QuickTime Seems like upgrading to Tiger was the deal, too.

7. gonnabuyamac thread starter macrumors 6502

what makes quicktime better or different than iMovie? i'm still trying to figure out what you use it for other than watching full-screen movies.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

QuickTime Player is for playback, iMovie is for creation :)

9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

You'll get varied responses from those who use QuickTime Pro for small editing, resizing and reformatting for small files and for steaming, according to individual preference and need. What I particularly like are the QuickTime Player Scripts for various track and edit features, plus the ability to export files to to different formats.

Attached Files:

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

QuickTime is not an application. It is the set of multimedia APIs in MacOS X. This set of APIs is used to build the QuickTime Player, iMovie, iTunes, iDVD, and most other MacOS X apps.

The QuickTime Player is strictly for playback. By enabling its Pro features, QuickTime Pro becomes a limited-feature movie editor, creator, and format converter. For example, the app can create an animated movie from a group of sequentially-numbered still images. iMovie can edit video in much more sophisticated ways than QuickTime Pro.