quicktime question.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mynameisjesse, Aug 5, 2005.

1. mynameisjesse macrumors member

i know this is going to sound stupid, but i want to play .avi's with quicktime but it says i need a plugin. it sends me to a page of plugins but i have no clue which one i need, and most of them cost money. i downloaded some other media player but would much rather just have it work in quicktime. can ya help?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It depends on the AVI. Some older AVIs require codecs that only work in QT for Classic (or OS9). Some are DivX which require a DivX codec. Try either the DivX codec for Mac or the XviD codec for the Mac. But ultimately, using MPlayer or VLC will be easier.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The DivX codec is a free download. There is a fee-based DivX Pro codec, but you don't need it for playback.

4. mynameisjesse thread starter macrumors member

i just read that divx is not compatible with tiger or quicktime 7. god damnit.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Oh, for Pete's sake! Haven't you ever heard that you believe nothing you hear and only half what you read? The problem with the DivX codec is that it makes the QT7 player double-display its Help menu. This is the length, breadth, and height of the "incompatibility." Download and install the DivX codec. With it installed, .avi files display just fine in the QT7 player.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

And if you don't want the dual-Help menu, give 3ivx a try. :)

7. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Yeah MPLayer works fine. i've had no problems with .avi files with mplayer so far.

8. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I play Divx files with quicktime 7 and don't have double help menus, so it can be done. I've got 2 years worth of video stuff on my powerbook, so I'm not sure what it is that causes it to work. but it can be done.

9. mynameisjesse thread starter macrumors member