Quicktime suported media, should i just download some other media viewer?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LaSt, Oct 14, 2003.

1. LaSt macrumors newbie

I've been downloading tv shows lately (simpsons, futurama, etc), but i've found that some of them quicktime can't play.

Should i download like windows media player, or some other media player. Or are there codecs, etc that i should download.

Bryson

2. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

Quicktime doesn't playback .avi files. you can get the codec, but it's a pain to install. i've tried but i've never been sucessful.

to play .avi's i use VideoLan Client (VLC). do a search on VersionTracker.com and you should see it there.

for playing .wma, .wmv files you just have to download Windows Media Player for Mac. i don't think there's any other way to view them. although if there is, feel free to correct me. :)

that about covers it i guess.

edit>> almost forgot about .rm files. there is a free download for RealOne Player for OS X. it's handy to have all the players on your comp just so you're always ready.

3. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

For Windows Media files, I use MPlayer.

MPlayer pretty much plays all formats.

If you try QuickTime and VLC and the file still won't play, try MPlayer, and it'll probably play it.

MPlayer

enoch

4. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

thanks for that link to Mplayer. i've got to give it a try. if it can play .wmv files, then w00t!! :D

anything to stop using WMP... and it doesn't even play some files!:rolleyes:

5. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

QT codecs are easy to install, Divx comes with its own installer so thats nice and easy. 3ivx is easy to install, you just download the codec and drop it into your /Libary/Quicktime/ folder and bam you launch QT and you can play avi's.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

"Pain to install"? On which planet? QuickTime plays some .avi's out of the box. The problem is that .avi is an extension which gives no clue of its codec. It is my understanding that Intel's Indeo codecs (there are at least three of them) have not been ported to the Mac.

7. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

well it was about 6 months ago that i tried to install a codec in Quicktime... that was a real pain. i haven't tried recently, so i don't know if they're 'refined' the process. i might check it out again...

and yeah, that's true about .avi codecs.... i realised the trouble with codecs after rendering something in 3dsMax. ;) :D