Quicktime to FLV

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by failsafe1, Nov 8, 2006.

1. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

I need to convert some quicktime mov files to FLV. I am using 10.4.8, Quicktime Pro and Flash MX 04. I am unable to export from QT to FLV but keep reading that I can. My MX 04 is up to date with the latest video export. Any ideas?

2. failsafe1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

Thanks I found FFMPEG after posting my question. I installed all the components and tried to output a FLV file. It all seemed to work fine but the resulting FLV file was zero k and would not play in any player.

3. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

4. failsafe1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

Thanks I had seen this option in the past and the price keeps me away. If I can't figure out how to work with what I have (MX04 Pro, QT Pro 7) then I will purchase a copy of Vertical Moons video 2swf for $45.

5. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

So, in Quicktime, when you choose export, FLV is not one of the preset option? I'm not at my Mac do I don't have the right phrasing infront of me, but hopefully, that makes sense. I can't tell if you just don't have that option of if it's not outputting correctly. I have the same Quicktime as you, but Flash 8 and I can export to FLV without a hitch.

6. failsafe1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

I have Quicktime pro 7 with the current updates and Flash MX 2004 pro. I have zero output options from QT for FLV files. Perhaps there is a difference from MX 04 Pro and Flash 8?

7. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

I may very well be the case, as I don't recall that option when I was using MX 2004. I can say that 8 handles video and video controllers beautifully. If they have a demo of it, you may want to download it and give it a try for this feature alone. It may only be a temporary fix, but you'll be pleased with the results.

When I used MX 04, I tended to use FFMPEGX to convert MOV files to FLV, but half the time I came up with those zero kb files like you. Pre Flash 8, I found that if something wasn't exactly right, FFMPEGX would not do the trick. The "export to FLV" option in Quicktime 7 Pro that comes with Flash 8 is really robust and has not once produced ill results, plus, it's remarkably fast.

8. Mojo67821 macrumors regular

I use Sorenson Squeeze at work... I dont' know how much it costs but it's ridiculously easy to use and the compression is fantastic.

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

In Flash 8, you can simply drag a .mov onto a project windows and it will offer to do a conversion to Flash video for you (just ignore the wrapper stuff it adds if all you care about is the .flv). I though that MX 2004 had this feature too… (Maybe only flash pro does this? At any rate, it can't hurt to try and see what happens.)

10. failsafe1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

I would hate to upgrade to Flash 8 from MX 04 just for the FLV feature. I rarely use Flash for any designing or other work. Sorenson is pricey so the video2swf software for $45 is looking good. Thanks for all the input. I may upgrade the macromedia stuff when the universal binaries are out?

11. editorX macrumors newbie

the hidden path.. :)

hi,
    it´s possible to create .flv in MX2004.
    import the chosen movie (embedded) in the flash library. select the movie in the library and then right-click on it. select properties and then export in the appearing dialogue.

12. failsafe1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

That did the trick. Don't know why I could not find the instructions on that. Exported the flv like a dream. Thanks.

13. newkai macrumors newbie

ffmpegX 0KB solution

In order to fix the 0KB result in ffmpegX, all you have to do is select the invert audio option in the audio tab.

I'm getting choppy video results, however.

14. woolfgang macrumors member

When opening the file, the Flash Player opens, but there's no screen, player, etc. Wanted to see the movie before uploading. Any help is appreciated.

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

16. woolfgang macrumors member

Thank, it's working now. But, when it was uploaded, there was no audio. Is there something extra to do for the audio?

17. greendj macrumors newbie

18. woolfgang macrumors member

Got it working, but thanks, that's good as a back up.

19. BunnyPro macrumors newbie

Similar problem .mov to .flv

I have a similar need as the original poster of this thread. (failsafe1)
    I even have the same hardware/software (MX2004)
    I read the thread and I am able to import files into Flash's library and then export them as .flv files.
    However, the files look awful. I see other .flv files from other people and they look GREAT!

Can anyone help??

20. schalliol macrumors regular

The current QuickTime works to make FLVs, but it doesn't use much of the CPU, so it takes forever on a big file. Does anyone have a recommendation for a multi-processor aware converter that will be able to use more of the CPU?

21. NewMackie macrumors newbie

NewMackie

Hi I need to do this same thing convert .mov to .flv I heard that I could use perian but i downloaded it and dont know how to use the plugin with quicktime i have quicktime pro and .flv is not an option on the export dropdown even with perian installed in my system does anyone know how to use this ?
    thanks

22. schalliol macrumors regular

I just tried FFMPEGX and that seemed to work much better than QuickTime (something quoted at 12 hours on my 8-core took about 2 with that). Still, CPU and memory consumption were both pretty low. A better app optimized for this could have hammered that out in like 20 minutes on this machine I'd guess.

23. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Oh, the irony, the sweet, sweet irony.