quicktime trouble

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by heywoodja, Sep 5, 2005.

1. heywoodja macrumors member

heywoodja

ok i bought a mac mini for the sole purpose of using it as a media center. previously i used an old power book g3 to stream itunes music to my stereo in the living room. my wife uses her pc to record tv shows (tivo like). my main computer, a dual 1.25 g4 in the game room has no problem logging onto her computer and playing the media files. on the mac mini, i cannot get it to play the mpeg videos, computer says "QuickTime cannot open the file: "0037.MPG"it is not a file that QuickTime understands (-2048)." i have even tried using microsoft media player for osx. it does not play says unsupported format. this does not make sense to me because on my wifes computer when she opens the same file it opens in windows media player. does anyone know what to do. please help

2. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Have you tryed VLC?, do a search for it on versiontraker.com

What type of file are you playing? ie. .wmv .mov .mp4 etc. Got confused when you said .mpg then you tryed to open it inn WMP.

3. heywoodja thread starter macrumors member

heywoodja

media type

in get info it just says mpeg but i believe it is mpeg 4

4. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Try VLC like i said. If that does not work transfer the movie onto the mini's hardrive and see if it plays correctly. Thats odd that it works on the Powermac but not the mini :confused: