'QuickType' Keyboard for iOS 8 Offers Context-Aware Predictive Typing Suggestions

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 2, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As a part of today's unveiling for iOS 8 at its Worldwide Developers Conference, Apple announced a new "QuickType" feature for the onboard keyboard which offers context sensitive predictive typing suggestions among other features.

[​IMG]
    For instance, an example message asking a user about "dinner or a movie" displayed button suggestions like "dinner", "a movie", and "not sure", while the feature will also learn how a user types and suggest specific slang used over time. Apple also promised that QuickType will protect a user's privacy when learning conversations throughout iOS, as the feature will also work in over 10 different languages.

QuickType will ship as as a part of iOS 8, which will be available later this year.

Article Link: 'QuickType' Keyboard for iOS 8 Offers Context-Aware Predictive Typing Suggestions

2. macrumors 6502

Just like android

And late too...

3. macrumors member

Reminds me of the predictive text on the Blackberry Z10 - without the need to flick.

4. macrumors newbie

This is a welcome change but...

This is a welcome change but...

I was really hoping to see Apple implement a swipe/gesture based option similar to Android keyboards. I'm itching to switch back from an Android device and this kind of feature speeds up performance across every aspect that requires text input.

5. macrumors newbie

That is what would seal the deal for me to return to the iPhone IF Apple implemented the swype keyboard!

6. Oohara, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014

macrumors 68000

Oohara

Same here. I prefer iOS in many ways and these new improvements look great, but swipe typing offers such a monumental increase to my productivity that I simply can not pass it up on my daily driver device.

EDIT: WTF, DID THEY JUST SAY THEY'RE ALLOWING 3D PARTY KEYBOARDS IN IOS8?????? Wow....... That would do it nicely - as long as it works system wide.

Knock knock....don't wanna get my hopes up just yet.......

7. macrumors G3

roadbloc

I'm pretty sure the rest of the mobile world already has this. Both my Windows Phone and my BlackBerry did, can't say for Android but I'd be surprised if it doesn't.

8. macrumors 68000

ghostface147

Swype for iOS? Hell yes!

9. macrumors 6502a

3rd party keyboards... oh yeah.

10. macrumors newbie

They came through with 3rd party keyboards! :)

I'm liking the increased openness Apple is showing with iOS 8.

11. macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Exactly. I'd rather have swype over this, or both!

12. macrumors newbie

Like I said, swype keyboard! Hell yes! I will def switch back to iPhone!! (When a bigger screen is available)

13. macrumors 68000

Parasprite

Definitely does, although the experience is extremely variable (at least it was).

Hopefully this offers better management of non-dictionary words, and by that I mean words that aren't in Apple's dictionary. The lack of medical words in particular is what keeps me from solely using iOS Pages, which I wouldn't mind if it would at least quit marking [thrombolytic] as being spelled incorrectly whether it's the first or 20th time I've written it.

14. macrumors 65816

djtech42

It's a shame that Apple didn't do it, but people will be able to download swipe/gesture based keyboards now.

15. macrumors 604

bushido

they allow 3rd party keyboards systemwide now so i am sure someone will implement swype sooner than later

16. macrumors 6502

cheesyappleuser

Your prayers have been heard.

----------

That was Swype on the keynote.

17. macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 24+.
    Makes me wonder if Apple waited to implement all this keyboard stuff until after the trials, where Samsung had to pay a ton of money for supposedly infringing Apple's old autocorrect patent.

It would've been a heckuva lot harder to claim damages for something trivial like that, if it could've been pointed out at the time, that Apple themselves had also implemented ideas used by others.

18. macrumors 6502

Alright! More things to help typing :D

19. macrumors 6502

miknos

Apple bought Swiftkey?

20. macrumors regular

unfortunately, nothing beats Swype... :(

21. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

Never mind Swype and SwiftKey, I can't wait for all the exclusive iOS keyboards. For like shortcuts, easier formatting, etc.

22. macrumors 6502a

CrazyForApple

I hope this works as well as they say it will

23. macrumors member

Well, I installed iOS 8 beta on my iPad 2 and this predictive keyboard isn't on it. So either it's not ready on any device yet, or it's too advanced for the iPad 2. (don't quite dare update my iPhone 5 yet).

24. macrumors 65816

captain kaos

About time. This was one of the better things on Android that i missed when i came back to iOS. I may even give Swype a re look. I tried it when i had a SGS3, and found the swiping part of it a bit hit and miss.

25. macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I read this after making my post. I'm hoping the 5.5" iPhone 6 is released alongside of the smaller 4.7" one. I converted to the Note 3 and anything smaller would just feel tiny.