Quicky linux question?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by psychofreak, Nov 29, 2006.

1. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Is it lye-nux (like rye for the first bit) or linux (like pin for the the first bit)?

2. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

3. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

Thats kinda confusing; Linus calls it Linux the pin way, but on the wiki it says that the pronounciation is based on minix, which is said differently in the rest of Europe.

Its difficult, I know some purists will say we should pronounce it like Linus, but people don't follow The Steveness' example: most people (not Chundles) say Oh Ess Ex, while the big J says Oh Ess Ten.

4. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

I've been working with Linux for 10 years or so, and we have always called it the pin-way. I haven't looked at the wiki, but I also had a copy of minix on a 80286 system back then, and we also called that minix as in the pin-way.

As for this product, we all just call it MAC OS in the shop!!!

5. Soton Speed macrumors member

Which is something quite different in the Land of the Long White Cloud.

6. SupadudeX macrumors member

Definately the pin way. I hear people saying it the rye way all the time and it drives me CRAZY!

7. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Huh. When I heard a tape of Torvalds once, it sounded to me like he said "LEE-nucks". Which is neither of these. :D