Quiet hard drives for Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by seanf, Jan 17, 2007.

1. seanf macrumors 6502

Hello,

There seem to be no end of stories of noisy drives and amplified vibration noise in the Mac Pros, but does anyone have any drives they would recommend for a quiet setup?

Thanks

Sean :)

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Not many people aren't happy with their MP's HD noise, but happy people don't post about their quiet HD's...

3. seanf thread starter macrumors 6502

Hence this thread ;)

4. DeadSirius macrumors member

I don't know of any dead silent hard drives, but I've been very comfortable with my Hitachi Deskstar 500 GB drive. Others may disagree.

5. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

My seagates were dead quiet until I put them into a RAID-0

now they click simultaneously which makes the noise pretty loud

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

7. seanf thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the suggestion. I have already posted a thread on there asking for recommendations on low vibration drives. I have also checked out their recommended lists, but the only 3.5" drive they recommend is also stated as having a high level of vibration. As there's seemingly no good way of suspending the drives in the Pro this will be no good.

8. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-DeadSirius

We hold a sh** load of silencing patents. Odds are best Hitachis in a head-to-head will always be quietest.

'course, the Deskstar too have the spool-up noise, but read/write slider clicking is near gone.

9. Jame macrumors newbie

I'm sure there will be plenty to dispute this, but i added 3 Western Digital 250 gig hard drives to my Mac Pro and have been very happy with them. My Mac Pro sets on my desk not more than a foot and a half from me and i can not hear any noise from them with all 4 drives spinning. At a hundred bucks a pop i am well pleased with their quietness and performances.

I did notice some vib noise a couple of months ago, but it wasn't the drives, but a flaw in the Mac Pro mounting. After putting a couple pieces of card board in the right place all the vibration and noise went away.

10. jsalbre macrumors newbie

What are "the right places?" I'm having some resonance noise myself but if I press my hand against any part of the case it goes away. I suppose I could figure it out by trial and error, but if you've already done so it'd save me some time.