Quietest External 250 GB HD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by aricher, Aug 25, 2004.

1. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I'm thinking about getting a new FW 400/800 External HD. I want to get a drive that's a minimum of 250 GB and it needs to be QUIET. I've read some reviews of the OWC Mercury Elite - most reviews say how quiet the drive is. Can anyone here attest to this - are there nay other brands I should consider?

2. quidire macrumors 6502

quidire

While people are considering this, if they run across information about the noise level of the La Cie Big Disk Extreme, I'd appreciate it if it were posted or PMed to me :)

3. nfocus design macrumors regular

nfocus design

I have had good luck with Western Digital drives. I'm currently using the 250GB lighted drive. This is my third external WD drive. I sell my old one when I'm ready to upgrade to a newer or bigger model. The have pretty good resale value too.

http://westerndigital.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=49

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I have a 120 GB OWC Mercury Elite. When it starts up it make a whirl sound. Nothing compared to the nose that my Power Mac G4 makes. I purchase it because of its great reviews.

5. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

Anyone know what the Fromac ones are like?
    My local Mac1 shop now is promoting a big range of them...
    seem a bit expensive... but some are dual bay - so upgradeable!

They come in 160GB, 250GB, 500GB models both Firewire 400 or 800.