Quiktime not playing files/have no sound

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mautal, Nov 10, 2006.

1. mautal macrumors member

i just bought this c2d macbook and i am having trouble with quicktime.... it seems that 90% of my files (.avi) aren't working... the ones that do work wil have no sound ... any suggestions?

thanks

2. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

You probably don't have the right codecs installed. Grab the latest divx or 3vix codecs and install them to see if that helps.

In general though, I never watch any of my videos through QuickTime. Instead, I highly recommend using VLC - it's by far the best media player for the Mac - and it's free. It will play 90% of the files you throw at it. :cool:

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I would suggest trying to install the lastest codecs. VLC has been trippy for me in the past three months so I gived up on it until the lastest update is out.

Bless

4. the Western zoo macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

yup sounds like it's the codecs...
    VLC has always done the trick for me but I also have MPlayer OSX though I never use it..

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Oh, and if you're trying to play WMV files, get Flip4Mac. It allows you to play all but the newest WMV files via QT.

6. mautal thread starter macrumors member

divx

ive installed divx and still having problems... im not particularly fond of divx player that i had to install to get the codecs so im going to uninstall that and give the VLC a try.. thanks for the help

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No problem, that's what we're here for. VLC should play those AVIs so let us know if they don't.

8. steelfist macrumors 6502a

Yawn...Seriously, there's always a thread like this out once every week or so. shoulden't there be a stickey? it would make things much easier for a mac newcomer.

as for quicktime codecs, use perian.
    http://perian.org/
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/video/perian.html

there's also vlc, mplayer, and xine which can also handle these videos along with other quicktime-incapatible videos like matroska videos and ogm ones.

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

It's a good suggestion so I would PM a Mod about it rather than just yawning and complaining about it. :p ;) That being said, such information is already available in the Guides, so you can only do so much. If people don't use the search function and read the FAQs, there's not much else you can do, so you choose to either be helpful or ignore the thread I guess. :eek:

Good suggestion on xine as well, I had forgot about that one. :cool: