Quit my job, and started my own business, need help

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Backtothemac, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, that did not work out. I did not get the funding that I needed, so that went away really quick.

2. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Wow... Good luck! Post pics, when you do!

Hmm... Random suggestions:

Windex? - Damn!... Taken :p
    Broken Windows?
    GeeksClean?
    PeeCee Fix
    PC Bath
    itWorks

Ugh... I suck at this :eek:

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Call it "[Something] Solutions"... people want SOLUTIONS to their problems, and you will be the one who provides said solutions.

I've started something similar here in Charlotte... still trying to get it off the ground, and my business name ends in "Solutions".

4. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    congrats to you b2. sounds like you've created a good gig.

i suck when it comes to names, so i'm no help there.

sorry.

5. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Good luck with your new business. It's a good idea to come up with a company name, but you could also use your own name for now. Get your business card printed with your name on it and say consultant on it. That way, you do not have to open a banking business account along with some other formalities of a DBA.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nice work Backtothemac. Starting a business isn't easy and getting the courage to take the first few steps is the hardest part - which is thankfully behind you.

I don't quite get one thing though. You're starting by fixing PCs yet you want to move to selling Macs once you get 200 clients. They sound like tow pretty independent and almost unrelated jobs so are you planning on doing both at the same time still? I'm sure you've got it all worked out, but I don't quite understand. That's all. :eek:

As for names, are you aiming for something quirky, something descriptive (like clayj's idea) or something inoffensive? Just remember that you'll want something that won't date. So something like XP Solutions would be a bad idea. Having said that, I agree with clayj in that Solutions is a pretty good place to start (or finish :p ) with a name. :)

7. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, I am going to both really. The security side with windows, and then open an Apple storefront. The Apple store will be only Macs, but the otherside of my business will be the support aspect, and that will have to be Windows.

I agree that solutions should be in the name. I like that.

Windows solutions.
    Security solutions.
    Technology solutions.

?????

8. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Oh, yeah, almost forgot the most important part: Once you've got your business name, make sure you file the appropriate paperwork with your state government... you do NOT want to be operating a business without having the necessary paperwork on file. This will protect you in case a client sues you, not to mention keeping you square with the tax authorities.

Don't go too generic with the name... don't forget, there's usually a limit of one business per state with a particular name.

9. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

10. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

www.entrepreneur.com/

Very useful site. I'm starting my own company by next year, but I'm still reading up at that site for now. It gives alot of useful information and tips. There's alot of stuff I wouldn't have originally thought of doing, that the site pointed me towards.

Best of luck!

11. IllTakeAnApple macrumors member

very useful indeed! i just picked up their magazine last week and i feel like ive learned more about business within its pages than i have with 3 years of school under my belt.

12. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

If you ever need any custom software for your business, I'm your man ;)

13. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

Haha! I recently did the same thing in Los Angeles and started doing my own consulting. and I named it Larsen Technology Solutions....

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Don't get too specific either. Something like "Windows Solutions" would lead people to belive you only know About windows, and you wouldn't be able to help them with thier Mac. (Why anyone would need help with thier Mac I'm not sure...)
    I would leave Windows out all together, you might get people calling about the real, glass windows.

You could just put yur last name in it "___________ solutions."

15. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

1. Make sure it is a limited liability firm (I don't know what they are called in the States (LLC?)
    2. Use your name in the name of the company (e.g. Kiwi's Personal Computing Solutions)
    3. Are you planning to employ people? (200 customers @ 1 update per month = a lot of hours) ... employing people is a whole new ball game
    4. Understand your local, state and federal tax obligations thoroughly (both personal and company) and keep records ... keep records ... keep records ...
    5. Put together a business plan and stick to it
    6. Don't spend money you don't have

7. Good luck and have a ball! Working for yourself can be the most frustrating, disappointing AND the most rewarding employment you can have.

16. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Remember Your Customers...

Personally I'd avoid the "_____ Solutions"; it has become overused and trite. You need to look at who your "typical" customers will be -- technophobes who are unable or unwilling to understand PC's at our level. So that's what I'd play up. "Nerds On Site" is a perfect example of this in action. (Is there a NOS franchise in your area? If not, you should look into buying one... they have a great track record for success.) So if it was me, I'd take that sort of approach. Make it light-but-professional, and play up the benefits customers will get by hiring you. Stress-free / worry-free / virus-free / problem-free / etc. Maybe consider something along the lines of "Computer Clinic", "Doctor Digital", "EZ/PC", "PC MDs", etc. (No I haven't checked any of these names for trademark violations!) Good luck, I ran my own home-based computer graphics business on an Amiga 2000 for almost ten years and had a blast.

17. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Geez how many of these operations can there be. I've seen the Geek Squad and Make IT Work cars all over, now you're telling me there are Nerds on Site each with their own cute little vehicle?

Seems like that concept is as played out as __________ Solutions.

Best of luck Backtothemac! IMHO keep it personal, technophobes generally like to have a personal connection with their IT mechanics, and I suspect that you might not be able to get $30/month per client if you were affiliated with one of these franchises.

B

18. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

19. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

And that's exactly why your name shouldn't be an acronym too. :)

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Someone is going to pay you $30 to check for spyware? Damn, people aren't willing to learn, are they? And besides, if you showed them what programs to use and what buttons (erm....button) to press, they wouldn't need to pay you anymore, so nice job. :p

Anyway, I remember a long time ago when you used to work at an IBM + Apple reseller place that installed Linux preloaded onto Macs, and you tried to help me get a special deal on a Powerbook even though I lived in Canada (and you can't get by customs in Canada ;) ), so I'll just sit here and think up some company names for you even though I suck at this. :p

However, I'll make a suggestion: The name should clearly be one of a tech company, but only be low or moderately-low on the "geek scale."

Bleach Technology Solutions
    BSOD No More
    Bug Free Technology
    Lemon Fresh Solutions
    Beyond Doubt Solutions
    Crystal Clear Solutions
    Squeaky Clean Tech Solutions
    Fresh Technology
    Fresh Solutions Technology

and so forth. I'll come up with more later.

21. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Selling Macs!! THAT WOULD ROCK. but that means you have to leave use :(

22. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

How about Computer Support Solutions?
    Computer Solutions?

I don't know. I like the idea of a monthly fee, though.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Compu-Global Hyper-Mega Net Solutions?
    :p

I suck at names too. Good luck though.

My wife is working to start an artisan jewelry company, which is basically just her making jewelry and selling it at private shows, online, and in a few retail locations around town.

Once you get your name you'll have to do the whole fictitious business license thing, get your tax ID #, set up a business bank account etc. Better to be legal than sorry!

24. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

what in the WORLD are you talking about?!?!?! though i suppose you didn't come up with the name. blameless to the world i suppose.

;)

congrats backdawg. good luck with the name. seems the solutions tip could be good

slogans should include "free beer"

25. emw macrumors G4

emw

Unless your last name is something like "Badd". Or "Poor". Or "No". ;)

(Yes, these are all real last names.)

But BttM, in terms of the business - good luck. It isn't easy to pull something like this together. Follow others' advice on creating an LLC as it will protect your personal assets in the case of a lawsuit.

Also, consider getting an accountant and/or attorney who can help with business related issues from tax law to contracts.