quite alarmed

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by giovanni, Sep 9, 2002.

1. giovanni macrumors regular

Hi,
    just wondering about something misterious I noticed happening in Expolorer, on new Mac with jaguar installed.

When I start typing an address, Explorer attempts to guess what I want, based upon prior addresses that had been typed in. What happens is that as I start typing, the list of possible addresses that Explorer proposes as guesses contains a number of places I have never visited. This is very strange!
    What is going on ?

Note that this had never occurred to me on my older Mac under OS 9.xx. Whenever I would start typing an address I could guess almost 100% of expolorer's guesses and their changes as I would type more of that address.

I am wondering: could this mean anything at all ? (security problems?). Has anyone else noticed something similar ?

2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

it's supposed to do that...it's like a helper

3. saint macrumors regular

relax dude.

The "guesses" you have not visited are probably some of the standard bookmarks that come with exploder.

it's cool. :cool:

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Also I have noticed that sometimes Explorer tracks some pop up advertisements and they come up as guesses. Like Giovanni said though it uses your bookmarks also not just your history.

5. giovanni thread starter macrumors regular

ok - so it looks like not much to worry about.
    I feared somebody else was accessing my computer (I have the airport thing).

Thx !
    gio