Quite upset at apple!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by theipodgod16, Jan 23, 2004.

1. theipodgod16 macrumors 6502

i have an ipod that came with a carrying case. its one year old. i purchased applecare to extend the coverage another year, until Jan 2005.

just yesterday, the belt clip on the case broke compleley, and i just found out that they won't replace it!

i paid $500 for an ipod and 2 year warrenty and they wont even replace the belt clip on a $35doller case??? what gives? i bought the warrenty to cover my investment! if tey think that i'm buying another case, hah! its actually thinner without the belt clip, but it's the principle of the thing that burns me up! why would they not cover the carrying case? has anyone else had this problem?

2. benpatient macrumors 68000

well, they only cover things if they will get sued otherwise.

apparently apple won't stay in business if they provide good tech support or replacements for defective products.

You might have to sue them to get a case. The fact that you bought the extra warranty gives you a shot, at least. Especially when the case came as part of the package you got the warranty on...

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

it depends on the wording of the warranty. if the warranty covers everything, or they lead you to believe it would when you bought it (you'll need to prove this), they're obligated to cover it. if not, you can't expect them too. a decent company might, out of the goodness of their hearts, but apple's service does indeed suck. simply put, it's always a good idea to read a contract before you sign it.

paul

4. theipodgod16 thread starter macrumors 6502

right, i just dont understand if they say, your ipod is covered, why they would include the ipod, remote, earphones (which i've had replaced 3x due to blown out drivers, or exposed wiring), the firewire cable, and everything else that came with it. Except the case.

Apple makes the case.

apple sells the case for a ludicrus price.

one side of the hinge broke for me, and i just dont see why this is not covered, especially if i purposly paid $100 extra to get the remote and case wehn i bought it, and $59 extra to cover them for an extra year.

I dont want to take legal action against them, unless we can get a petition going with a bunch of users who are burned about this. Otherwise, ill just live with it. (or even buy a case used, which would probably be cheaper than sueing.)

5. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

What on earth are you doing to your iPod earbuds?!?

6. pinto32 macrumors 6502

yeah.....I think usually warrenties just cover "defects in workmanship" and that type of thing......wierd but kinda reasonable when you you think about it.....stress on the "kinda reasonable".....

7. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

unfortunately the case isn't covered in the warranty

8. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

where did you get this idea? because i believe you are just plain wrong.

quote from apple's website:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP.../wo/hn3pPFTMIe3C3vAPT0S1MOsvRvM/2.0.7.1.0.5.3

(click on the blue circle next to the iPod APP.)

call apple again, and ask. if the first one doesn't respond to you well, ask for his manager. go up the ladder as far as you need to because you are entitled to a replacement.

9. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Stop whining... so the cheap plastic broke. Go spend $20 and get a new case. It's not like iPod erased all your songs, then synced with your Mac and erased all it's songs...

10. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i'm sorry, but he's not whining at all. the warranty covers the case and he should get a replacement for free.

are you willing to buy him a $20 case if it's not a big deal for you to spend the money you shouldn't have to?

11. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Hahahaha, good point. I understand your a bit burned about the whole deal, but really its not worth making a big deal out of. Stuff breaks everyday, and life goes on. I think you should be nicer to your iPod, or it might get really upset and take the actionmentioned above.

btw, my headphones just broke as well, I took the oppertunity to get the new version of the headphones. When you technology breaks.......UPGRADE!

12. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

i think we would have to see the broken clip to make an assumption if he is wrong or if apple is wrong.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Wow you paid $59 for a warranty to cover $100 in merchandise.

I smell sucker... ;p
    Basically the extended warranty did not cover the EXTRA merchandise you bought, just the stuff that came in the iPod box.

And I certainly hope you didn't pay $59 for an extended warranty just for the remote and case. Almost sounds like a CompUSA sales tactic there -- the DVD player is $29, but the extended warranty is $79.

14. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

My, aren't you helpful.

You need to read more carefully. The case came with the iPod. Do you own one? If you buy the low-end one it doesn't come with the remote, case, or cradle. Spend $100 more to get the next step up and you get a bigger iPod PLUS those extras - they come in the box, and hence are included accessories.

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Always. ;p
    I did that why I wrote it that way.

No I don't plan on buying a iPod case and remote, because they are plain useless without an iPod. And $59 for an extended warranty just for $100 in accessories is a little extreme.

16. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

i must say though, apple service sucks. thats my only complaint for them.

17. theipodgod16 thread starter macrumors 6502

no, not quite. California, which politically is war zone but anyway... the wire kept coming exposed because my arm or something else would get caught between teh wires and pull down.

i paid an extra 59 dollers for the ENTIRE ipod package to be covered. including all accessories. the case came in the box, it has the apple logo on it. THATS why i dont understand why its not covered. because its APPLES case. And APPLES warrenty.

18. BigD macrumors newbie

Warranty Details

Check out the description of the "AppleCare Protection Plan for iPod" on the Apple Store:

Service coverage is available only for the iPod and its original included accessories (excluding the carrying case) that are defective in materials or workmanship or for battery depletion of 50 percent or more from original specification. Equipment returned for service may be repaired or replaced with functionally equivalent new, used, or refurbished equipment.

Seems pretty straight forward to me. It is rare to find a warranty cover parts that receive wear and tear - look at car warranties for example.

19. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

in that case, technically it shouldne be covered upder waranty cause its not the fualt of the manufacturers.

20. bertagert macrumors 6502

Same thing happened to my headphones. However, nothing Apple did made it happen. It was all my fault, just as it's your fault your earphones broke. As for the case, you still haven't explained how it broke. Did you break it? How and when did it break?

I plan on getting new headphones soon. I'm not going to try to get Apple to replace something I broke though. If you broke your belt clip on your case, you should be the one replacing it.

21. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

Re: Warranty Details

well, i stand corrected. and that SUCKS. (and stupid and arguably deceptive, only because it's footnoted in the wrong place. it should be footnoted at the end of the "The AppleCare Protection Plan extends your service and support coverage for your iPod, its included accessories, and iTunes software for up to two years from the original purchase date of your iPod." sentence as well.)

22. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

if you care, it shouldn't be a problem at all to get your headphone replaced. if you strictly went by the logic that the one who broke it should replace it, then no warranty would ever make sense. the customer is the only person who's doing anything with the product - if the product was perfectly fine at the beginning, who else would be responsible for "breaking" it? not the company because company never touches the product after it's sold to the consumer!

warranty is there to cover things that break under reasonable usage. now, i am not sure about the headphone, but i hardly every put strain on mine and it still broke. yes, i broke it, but i did expect it to be covered. if it's susceptible to breakage even under normal usage, it should be covered even if i am in fact the one who broke it...

23. bertagert macrumors 6502

Exactly. However, he/I didn't break it under normal use. We got our arms wrapped in the headphone wires and thats what broke it. So we should replace them on our own.

Now, we need to know how the belt clip broke on the case before we can go any further with this thread. One can't come in and complain without telling the forum the whole story.

24. Nicky G macrumors 6502a

Nicky G

The AppleCare Protection Plan is not an extended warranty, for one. It is a service and support contract.

It covers things breaking down because of defect. I case falling apart after a year because you use the heck out of it isn't a defect. Not to mention the case is specifically NOT covered.

I certainly sympathize, but it is important to know what the AppleCare Plan is, and what it is not. I know what it is, and decided to buy it for the iPod mini I have on order. But I bought it pretty much in case the battery depletes to less than 50% the stated capacity in the 2 years the iPod will be covered, or in case the hard drive crashes, or some other blatant DEFECT.