Quixtar

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cwright, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwright macrumors 6502a

I have a friend coming by tomorrow that's really trying to sell me on this Quixtar web site (formerly Amway) as an online business opportunity. If you don't know what it is, it basically appears to be a legalized business plan similar to a pyramid scheme.

My dilemma is that I trust this guy, yet I remain very skeptical of the business plan they offer. I've read both positive and negative reviews on the web.

He's making me promises of lots of easy money after getting established, and he's even shown me his first (small) paycheck from it. So sure, it pays but I can't say that I believe you will ever earn as much as they say you will. Plus I think they require you to buy x amount of stuff from their online store which is overpriced...and I hear that the commission you get from your own website is very small.

I usually wouldn't do it, but my friend genuinely wants us to do this and make money together, rather than me just be another one of his referrals. Anyway I don't want to piss him off by rejecting his offer but I'm still a little worried about spending $100 to get involved in this program if it won't be worthwhile.

Sorry for the long post... just wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with Quixtar as an online business opportunity and see if you think I should try it out.

Thanks!

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

my friend tried to get me involed with this same company as well but i turned her down. i really didnt have time to deal with that or bring new people to the fold.

Bless

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

If he's really your friend, he won't be offended in the slightest if you turn him down. Friendship and business usually need to be kept separate. I know too many people who went into business with their friends and then the friendship died when the needs of the business changed.

I'd say no. But that's me.

4. cwright thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the input.

I guess I should re-phrase... It wouldn't be an active business that we both go into together. He wants us each to have our own Quixtar "business".

In fact I rarely see him in person any more since I've moved off to college and he stayed back home at the community college.

But anyway, has anyone here actually tried the program before?

5. Toreador93 macrumors regular

I know three people who've actually gone through with it, and another who just went to the convention. Basically, the convention is a bunch of hype, and doesn't say ONE WORD about they they actually do or sell.

The other three have had no success. They made a few bucks (probably not even breaking even). You'll have more luck selling water for the Culligan Man (my uncle does it, and lives fine off it), than this "online business".

When you mention "pyramid scheme", they usually get very defensive, and say "Mult-level Marketing", or some synonym. Whatever.

Don't fall for it. Some people make money ONLY once they get a few levels under them. You will be the gofer. As the seller, you will make next to nothing. Only those who sell to those below them (possibly your "friend") will see anything worth while.

6. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I have a friend in this business. He seems to like it. He also told me about it and wanted me to do it. I said "no thanks". However I have bought stuff through their website (just a few items), and the prices seem to be comparable, or better than the local store. If your having doubts about it, then it's probably not for you. But go ahead and take a look at the stuff they sell, you may want to buy through him instead.

7. magic wand macrumors newbie

Hello CWright, this is my first time ever on a forum. You were the first person i came across so i thought id respond to you. I have not heard of quixtar, but i have recently joined Amway as an IBO. So far i have not found anything i don't like about it. It's been going since 1959 and has something like 3'000'000 IBO's around 80 countries and teretories worldwide. Our Trading Standards, and our Direct Selling Asociation back this business. So many people, (including me) think this is a pyramid, but it isn't. Pyramids are illegal. And unethical. With Amway i have had no presure to buy, or go to any seminars at all. In fact quit the opposite, of course they recomend you do go to at least one or two, and mabe read some of the books by the IBS team, but there is absolutly no obligation to do anything other than be honest with yourself. It isn't for everyone. It's a system that we are not used to, and so we are naturaly on the defense. All id say to anyone is, just take your time, and look into it yourself and find out for yourself. With anything, anybody who may have tried this or other plans, may not have done very well, so of course they are not goint to have many possative things to say. Given that about 95% of the world are doing what every one else is doing, it's not surprising most people are skeptical. I hope this has helped. All the best in what you decide is right for you.
    Matt

8. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Sorry, this was too funny to pass up.

Attached Files:

• shot.jpg
      shot.jpg
      File size:
      134.3 KB
      Views:
  9. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I think schemes like these are generally for people who have dreams of running their own business but don't have the initiative / wherewithal (or however that's spelt :p ) / patience to do so. I remember my mum being an Amway agent - sorry, IBO - about 30 years ago. Don't think she made anything. I used to be the test monkey for everything which wasn't too weird for me to be using :eek:

Professionally, it's with a mix of admiration and amazement that I look at organisations like these, which raises the art of selling products of dubious merit into a quasi-religious experience. For reasons nothing to do with retail but more to do with neurological research I've been to some of these conferences and watching the other participants get swept up, personally speaking it leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

What I don't like about businesses like these are how they effectively end up targeting those of marginal income through the aspirational marketing, for whom even mild levels of success with the scheme is doubtful. Companies like Amway (and the distributors they support) thrive by effectively relying on the bottom-tier guys to 'lose' money by purchasing Amway products they won't need and can't sell. It may be legal.. but decent, honest and truthful? I guess that's up to you to decide.

10. magic wand macrumors newbie

Stonyc, every one has a right to an opinion. The thing is, when people like you have an uneducated opinion on a subject, it generates fear of an un-known. So what you end up doing is stating your opinion as fact. It's narrow minded and ignorant. The fact that you just coppied my text in your own box and said it was to funny to pass up, obviously made you feel big and clever. What are you scared of???? It's only an online shopping center, not realy unlike E-Bay. And to answer another uneducated assumption by someone else, there are plenty of people in high powered jobs running an Amway business. A friend of mine is a barrister in the Crown Court Prosecution Service. So she is hardly going to do something that is elegal. Mabe you should try looking a little deeper into why you are on this forum doing silly boy like things. Try being a little constructive yeah?!?! Amway has been running since 1959. Like any business, it has to grow. To have more than 3'000'000 IBO's in over 80 countries has got to say something, hasn't it?!? Have you acctualy bothered to look into it, or are you one of those who wants think they're better than they really are, and every one else should be like you? Mabe your just lazy and can't be bothered, so it's easier to put it down than it is to educate your-self. I do feel sorry for you. Not because you don't like Amway, or you think it might not be for you, but if copying someone elses thought on a subject, which was only meant to be a bit of help is 'to funny to pass up', then my friend, you have some isues i would say you need to deal with. All the best in what ever you do life. :)

11. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

Take a deep breath, count to ten, and look at the uncharacteristically appropriate Google ad that appeared below your post in stonyc's screenshot.

Hilarious :D

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

For the record, I do not believe that Quixtar replaced Amway, but rather complements it. They are owned by the same parent company, and Quixtar wasis the online version of Amway.

I would stay away from anything related or similar to Amway. My dad tried Amway and never made a dime, and another friend of mine has her entire garage filled with Amway products and never sells them.

EDIT: Wow this is an old thread. I should more attention to dates. :eek:

13. magic wand macrumors newbie

Why on earth would any-one buy a garage load of product for? Mabey things have changed since then. I havn't had to buy any thing and i have made over£120. in our first month. The fact that some people don't make any money is more to do with them than the system thats been in place for 47 years, and made people money. Mabey the person who introduced you friend was not telling the truth, i cant say. What i can say, is, If you want to do well and get wealthy, you learn from someone who has already got to where you want to go. FACT. It is a real shame that some don't make a succesful go of it. but you cant always blame the system. Ask your friend if he was made to try amway. I doubt it very much. It's about time people, and i mean adults, started taking reasponsability for the choices they make. It's easy to pass the blame.

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I really wasn't blaming the system. I realize if you aren't making money you probably just aren't trying hard enough, but from my experience many people sign up thinking they have the initiative, but end up getting nowhere. Plus, chances are this would a be a second job, and most people don't even have enough spare time with one job, much less two.

I guess my point is that it sounds really easy, and many people sign up, but very few get rich quick by selling Amway.

15. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You're not going to get wealthy on £120 a month. Even if you only spend 5 hours a week on it, that's less than minimum wage. You'd be better off working behind a bar two nights a week.

16. magic wand macrumors newbie

The idea is to grow your business as far as you want to, It doesn't actually take five hours a week, unless you want it to. Having friends over to talk about the opertunity is not hard work in my view. Like anything, it takes time to build a business, i know, i have my own. If you took the time to actually look into it, i don't mean a five minuite read up on some forum somewhere, actually look into it, and read thier terms and conditions, which include codes of conduct etc.. you might be pleasantly surprised. I respect anyones decision, it's the opinions that are based on non-fact speculation that i find sad. I have looked into it in some detail myself and have not found a catch or dodgy goings on. However, i can totally understand why some do find it pushy and not quite what they were led to believe. That is down to the individuals who introduce it. That is unfortunate. I hate pushy people. That is why, as soon as i knew enough about the business to introduce it to others, i did. I think some get carried away with the idea and fail to mention the work involved. Still, each to their own.

17. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Are you aware this is a forum for Mac users? Not Amway users? You don't seem to have posted in any other thread.

18. magic wand macrumors newbie

What do you know about amway, 'profesionaly'? apart from remembering that your mum did it once. I mean, what do you realy know? it amazes me how people seem to be armchair experts in stuff they are actually to affraid to try themselves, or couldn't make it work, so rather than lose face, they slag it off proclaiming they knew all along it was a con.

19. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Don't mistake common sense for fear.

I'd wager he knows how to spell words like 'professionally' - I can't really say that all the typos, rambling formatting, and spelling errors make anyone think that this company is worth looking into.

20. magic wand macrumors newbie

Aha, we have another one, fantastic, if all you have is, i bet he can spell, well, that isn't very much... is it???? How about somone ACTUALLY show some proper evidence, or a good discusion about it?! oh yeah, toooooo busy being sarky'. Yawn....

21. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

As I said I have been to a few of the conferences. I'm familiar with the operation of the distributors. In fact from what I'm reading I'd say my Amway experience is significantly higher up the ladder than your apparent initial euphoric entry into IBO-ism. My mother's experience from my childhood is well established as typical of most IBO's - it was not only personal experience, but a good example.

If you haven't got anything to contribute but to shill a legal pyramid scheme in a Mac forum, could we politely ask you to piss off - and find a real job. You might succeed as an IBO - but the odds are stacked against you. Better to truly gain control of your own future than be (more often than not) effectively taken advantage of.

22. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Show us your 2005 tax return with confidential information blacked out.

You've still not proved that this can actually make money. Given that the common belief is that your Amway is a pyramid scheme, the burden of proof is on you.

EDIT: I also find it fishy that you dug up a 7 month old thread in order to preach your gospel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.