+R DL seems more available than -R DL... why?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ppc_michael, Aug 3, 2006.

1. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I've noticed that DVD+R DL seems more available in stores than DVD-R DL. Is there a reason for that or is it just coincidence?

I tend to have better luck with -R single layer than +R in terms of compatibility with set-top players, so I'd rather have -R DL unless there's something wrong with it.

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

-R DL doesn't exist basically. I've never seen it sold.

3. ppc_michael thread starter Guest

ppc_michael

They have them at Amazon, example: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009Y2WM6/

Although I should say my drive only supports +R DL, but I'm still just curious. :)

4. Arnaud macrumors 6502

In Europe, it's hard to get any of both... I bought a new dvd-burner yesterday, with dual-layer capacity, and I had to shop in 3 different places to finally get a pack of 5 DVD DL (can't say -R or +R).

The market is really not catching up on them, it seems, and the prices are horrible (hence the market not catching up...)

5. Arnaud macrumors 6502

6. ppc_michael thread starter Guest

ppc_michael

lol @ the like-new DVD-R :D

Ooh, that's a shame. Seems strange to me that they're not catching on very quickly, because aren't most "Hollywood made" DVDs dual layer? Seems like people would want to be just like Hollywood. ;)

7. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

They're still a lot more expensive per GB than single-layer discs. And I don't know about anyone else, but I have a hard enough time trusting my data to a single-layer DVD - I would definitely have a hard time trusting these DL discs.

8. Arnaud macrumors 6502

I thought about some lobbying behind that, indeed, but still - people usually get what they want in the end, if there is a legal loophole, and if it were only for Hollywood lobbying, we'd be using Chinese or Roumanian DL-DVDs instead...

I suppose the technology for production of DVD-DL is really more expensive, and the market doesn't develop itself, so you lose the spiraling prices down.

However, I'd really like (reliable) DVD-DL, it'd take less time for heavy back-ups... until Blu-Ray !