R.I.P. 2004 Cubs & Playoff Baseball

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kwyjibo, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Well my favorite kind of baseball will begin next week without my favorite team.

The 2004 Cubs were almost picked across the board to goto the WS, because of stellar pitching. I could point to a number of tough breaks throughout the season but I won't because they had time to fix all of that. The bottom line was that they lacked two things, discipline and fundamentals. You know its bad when you start complaing about your broadcasters just to take the focus off of poor play.

So did your team make it to the october dance? Did they crush your hopes like mine are crushed? Whos your pick to take it all?

I'd like to see the angels or the stros take it all. I hate the stros because they're in the central with the cubs, but they have showed the most fortitude in the NL coming back from Sub .500 to leading the WC and beating the cubs. The angels have been pretty good all season and never gave despite the fact that oakland has dominated that league for so long. I hope vlad starts getting some more respect because he's been so excellent.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Growing up in central Illinois, I went for the Cards instead of the Cubbies (team loyalties are pretty much split 50/50 around Peoria), so I'm pretty happy now. However, I feel for you (Cubs are my second team). Living around Boston now, I feel like I've found the "Cubs of the East". They'll make it in, but they won't win. I was really hoping for a Cubs/Red Sox WS last year, but, alas, it didn't happen.

3. ashon3611 macrumors member

ashon3611

speaking of the wild card... perhaps i should sing a lament for the giants?
    dodgers scoring 7 runs in the bottom of the 9th...

amazing

go 'stros ;)

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Yep. Always do.

Nope. We only Crush the BoSox hopes.

Who else?

190 million better get us more than a pennant.

I think we need to throw some more money at starting pitching though. Whose available this offseason.

and Yes Pedro..... THE YANKEES ARE YOUR DADDY.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

As a St. Louisan hoping the Cards win, Im glad the Cubs are out :D

6. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

My fish didn't make it this year. That's ok--they won the World Series last year. :cool:

7. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

You guys can have clement, hell you got loiaza and turned him into a different guy. Clement already trimmed his chin pubes it will be a quick shave when he puts on the pinstripes.

8. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Clement to go with Lieber? A good one two bunch if you ask me.

errr. I mean like 3-4 or 5 depending on the day.

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think it means that Nomah! is cursed, and not the Red Sox.

Oh, and Schilling is gonna own the Yankees when it comes to the ALCS, that is, if you guys make it :p

10. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i don't think nomar is cursed but i don't think the cubs should pay him the alleged 18 mil he wants.

the cubs need to dump alou and sosa if possible.

As for the Astros, sure i hate them as a divisional foe but they're comeback has been amazing and they're going into the playoffs red hot.

11. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

That would be a sign of the "End of the World." :p

Anyways the Sox are my team, so I good to go so far.

Friends don't let Friends Choose Yankees! ;)

Oh, and I don't think I would would be to disapointed if pedro went to the yanks. It will depend on what happens this post season, but I think his best years are behind him. He only seems to pitch well when its nice and warm so it doesn't look good for him come play off time. He should look for a team in the south, maybe the marlins.

Hope he does well, if he does and they win, he will be a hero for life around here.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Meh. The Cleveland Indians should have done better. No post-season for us...though we do get to relish that 22-0 whipping we gave to the New York Yankees, their worst defeat in history. :D

13. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

14. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I thought The Cubs had a chance. Oh well. I am not a Cubs fan. Goes puts on uniform and hat and chants, " Let's go Yankees!" I am so evil I don't even live in New York try 8 hours south.

15. dsyntax macrumors member

um...in my opinion, Alou was the only Cub to really perform well all season.

16. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Derreck Lee? maybe his batting slumped at the beginning but his glove work has been superb all year.

Carlos Zambrano? pitched awesome this year, probably could have won the cy young with more wins.

Alou is a dinosaur, and he's got a really bad attitude. That doesn't really help the team climate.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I was actually hoping that Nomar and the Cubs were going to the WS just to see the looks on the Red Sox faces when he left them behind. But like the Sox the Cubs are cursed and if Pedro keeps up his losing streak the Red Sox wont have much of a chance against the Yankees.

18. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Alou came up with timely hit after timely hit. If it wasn't for him, the cubs would of been no where near contention..... of anything.

The problem of the cubs is no one will step up and take blame. Baker points the finger at Sosa, and Steve Stone. Sosa tell Dusty to shut his yap and manage. Everyone claims "We were injured... etc" No accountability on that team.

P.S. I can't wait to hear some "Who's your daddy" Chants when pedro comes to Yankees Stadium.

19. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I will LAUGH MY ASS OFF if he breaks his slump and crushes them :p

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

After last nights Yankees Twins game I think you can say that the series has finally gotten interesting. The Twins were poised to take the first 2 games at the stadium and probably end the Yankees season when as usual the Yankees pull it out in the end to tie the series at 1 game a piece.

It seems that the Red Sox might be on the verge of another trip to the ALCS as they have won the first too against Anaheim. So now that the series moves to Boston the Angels have there work cut out for them.