r u mad at Sony for bringing death to Sega?

Discussion in 'Games' started by sam10685, Jul 21, 2006.

1. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

i was just watching video's at youtube and some really hate sony for killing sega. (i know sega is not completely dead... only in the hardware business.) i was just wondering what ur thoughts are. from what i hear, nintendo is going to wipe out sony this round. will u be mad at nintendo now or will it be a case of "you deserved it."?

2. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

Well, not mad but a bit disappointed. SEGA had a good hardware business and great games, too. (Crazy Taxi, Soul Calibur, and triple A games, etc.) It's just that EA don't support SEGA and that's how SEGA got hurt and lost the battle against PS2.

No I won't be mad at Nintendo though. They have something cool to offer what PS3 don't have. :D

3. mkaake macrumors 65816

As long as there's more than 1 console producer, I'm okay with it *shrugs shoulders*. Spent more time with the SNES and NES than anything Sega, until I picked up a genesis last year. It's okay, but I'm not mad that they're software now either...

4. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

5. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Maybe not knock them out but they'll deal them a few hefty blows.

6. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I don't think Sony have what it takes to get them through this 'round' (generation) of games warfare. The PS3 is hugely overpriced, and the released screenshots aren't too impressive. The damn thing also looks like a bad rip off of a B&O design...

Nintendo have their own market, and I may get a Wii myself, as they seem quite good fun (when I have space in my room to prance around).

Microsoft seem to be the only group who have a firm hold of their market. XBox users want more of the same (Halo, Fable etc...) and that's what the 360 does really well. It's not that expensive, the games are much the same as the original XBox (which is what I along with everyone else I know who has an XBox wants) and they also got ahead of everyone else and released the 360 quite a bit earlier than Sony or Nintendo release their consoles.

7. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    It was Sega's fault, not Sony's. If sega's console wasn't a piece of junk (yes, i owned a dreamcast), and the games were decent (they had some good titles, but not many), then they wouldn't have failed. Ever play Gun Valkyrie? The controls were simply awful, and I found that to be true of a lot of the Dreamcast games, regardless of developer.

8. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

While I do believe Sony's false hype-machine surrounding the PS2 (read: lies) did help facilitate the demise of the Dreamcast I don't think it is 100% there fault.

The problems that likely really kept it from competing, to me, are:
    - Very poor anti-piracy measures. There was a HUGE amount of DC pirating once an easy way was figured out to do it. Looking up "Dreamcast" on the internet back then pretty much yielded only piracy resources. If someone said this wasn't large enough to hurt the DC, they'd be lying.
    - No DVD-ROM drive. If they had of went with DVD over GD-ROMs there would not have been the "PS2 is a DVD player too" advantage for Sony. The PS2 was released at the perfect time to catch the growing DVD craze. If DC had DVD support *it* could have capitalized on this more then PS2.

So in general Sony's direct lies upset me, but I'm not going to dillute myself into thinking that is the sole reason my "favorite" console died.

Plus, I rather like the multi-platform Sega we have now, being able to pickup Sega games on other systems, and have Sonic Adventure sitting next to Super Mario Sunshine both for GameCube is something I'd never have thought would happen.

9. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

i'm not mad at sony and i'll never be...it's not worth it...;)

10. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I agree, the DVD issue noted above, piracy, and EA's lack of support really made the hard blow to Sega. I also think the DVD player part had a big role in helping many more people get into gaming consoles. I know many people who convinced their significant other that they could kill two birds with one stone getting a PS2. (I know I was one of them!) My wife took the bait and off I went buying a PS2 at launch. It was my first DVD player (and really my only one to date. I have DVD on both my Macs but no real true DVD only player still. I watch most of my Tv on TIVO anyway now.

Sega didnt' have a niche really like Nintendo so they couldn't compete as well with Sony.

11. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Precisely - Sony shot themselves in the foot more than enough times for anyone to need to do it for them :)

12. Natsus macrumors member

Onizuka is correct. It is Sega's own fault for its failure. If you look at Sega's history, they have great ideas but made poor business decisions. Just look at their voltron like console back in the 90's. There's the Genesis (the actual system) plus the 32x, sega cd.. all at the price of one system for each add-on. Who in their right mind came up with that idea!?

The Dreamcast was a step in the right decision but only a small one. Sega unfortunately dropped the ball again. They released the system at an odd time. Some say it was too early, some say it was too late. They also didn't have any protection against piracy. Sure, you could pirate the PS2, but rarely were you able to play pirated games right out of the box like the Dreamcast could.

So sure. The PS2 was one of the causes, but it certainly wasn't the only cause. It was only one of the nails in Sega's coffin. In fact, if you want to put the blame on anyone other than Sega, it would be the Xbox and Gamecube. It was their impending release that made Sega realize that they could not compete with all these companies with large pockets.

13. Core Trio macrumors regular

Core Trio

So much hate for Sony on this forum

I dont know about you guys but my PS2 has been going strong since launch and I have no gripes about it or sony. After the initial craze dies down, I intend to get a PS3

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Sega Did themselves in...wish it didn't happen but yeah. PS2 came in and did what it had to....sell and become the best. Nope I'm not mad at any company for trying to be the top of the game.

Would wish Sega was still in it though....always liked them except that damn sega CD.

Bless

15. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Those people are youtube are just ignorant most likely. If you have G4 and can see Game Makers, once and awhile they show the history of Sega. If you want to see shooting yourself in the foot... They kinda just kept making one wrong decision after another (from what I can tell after watching that show)...

I dont think sony will get knocked down. I believe they could eventually hurt themselves, but those japenese love their products to much for it to ever die down now that its so big...

Let alone, Sony has fanboys like Apple does. Defend it to the death. I mean really if Xbox 360 charged as much and had a blue ray in it, while the Sony was cheaper and had HD-DVD, do you really think all the semi loving XBOX 360 people would be defending it to the death. Sony has a backing that even with its PS2 DVD hardware issue, and there CD putting crap on your computer, and now the Blue Ray laser being in shortage - people still defend it like their new born.

16. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Woah, gotta defend my beloved Dreamcast here. First off, Sony's lies destroyed the Dreamcast. Anything the PS2 can do, minus play DVDs (which was to be an add-on for the DC), the DC can do. I personally think the DC was just as powerful, if not more so, than the PS2. The only reason PS2 games look as well as they do now, is because developers have been working for the console for 6+ years. I vividly remember playing my friend's launch PS2, and thinking, "Boy, my DC looks BETTER than this!"

Also, the PS2 couldn't do everthing the DC could out of the box, either.

Four controller ports
    Built-in modem
    web browser
    not get DREs, lol, I'm just throwing that in for fun

The Dreamcast was an exceptional system, that was WAY ahead of its time, especially for the price. However, I really can't see 4 companies competing, and someone had to go. Personally, in the end, no matter how you slice it, the Sega systems were sure to someday fade away.

However, I truly believe we will see another Sega system in the three console generations after the PS3/360/Wii generation.

17. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

No, but I'm a little embarrassed that you can't type complete three letter words...:rolleyes:

18. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I loved my original sega genesis...actually I still have it and use it :) It's awesome. :p

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Am I mad at Sony for helping bring the death of Sega? not really.

Sega had it coming themselves. I was a huge fan of Sega back in the day, the Mega Drive being my console of choice. Spent many days/years playing only a handful of games including Streets of Rage 2, Sonic 1 and Sonic 2. But as they grew up and transitioned to 3D they lost the magic. No 3D Sonic game can match a 2D Sonic game. There just wasn't this continuation, something Nintendo kept running.

Old Sega and New Sega are such different entities, it changed after the Mega Drive.

I say this as a huge fan of Dreamcast though. Certainly in my 2nd tear of consoles alongside the PS1 and NES. There were just such "japanese" games, such crazy little games like Rival Schools, some Gem fighting game, Chu Chu rocket etc that really lit up the machine for me. I really enjoy it and frequently jump back for some fighting games. Which I think is really where the Dreamcast highlighted IMO.

20. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Perhaps it's just me but I don't think that was really a problem worth noting. I, personally, enjoyed the Sega Sports/Visual Concepts sports games much more then any of the EA games at the time.

I really think their own sports games beat out EA's offerings when they were released. The EA games are stronger now, but back then I didn't think so (originally that would have been comparing PS1 to Dreamcast sports games, with the DC the clear winner in my book).

21. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

That, however, was not. Step in the right direction. Alongside the thread title and the constant use of "there" instead of "their" has made this thread language-retarded

22. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Yeah I am, the bastards! ;)

Seriously though, Sega killed themselves as a hardware manufacturer, and the signs were there with release of the MegaCD that they weren't going to last much longer.

As for Nintendo bringing down Sony this generation, maybe, nothing last's forever.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Exactly. Nintendo took a blow after the NES and SNES with the PS1, and now Sony are following exactly in Nintendo's footsteps into another N64.

24. ChrisK018 macrumors regular

How fun. Let's spread some more blame around.

Who can we blame for killing Coleco-vision, Intellevison and Atari?

Capitalism? Poor pricing and business planning? Bad Luck?

25. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I agree- my Rev. 1 PS2 is doing great- considering it doubles as my only dvd player for my tv!

You make a very valid point- I never said EA was making the best games- I said they didn't support Sega's console- big difference. The casual gamer didn't realize Sega's sports games had so much to offer- therfore the casual gamer just looked at Sega and said wow, they don't have the best sports games(because most casual gamers thought EA was the best). In fact, they weren't the best, just the biggest. But when the best known name doesn't support a console the console struggles with the casual gamer (and parents who are purchasing the console for thier child as a present.)