.RA to .MP3 conversion

Discussion in 'Daily Tunes Site Discussion and Feedback' started by Doug_in_the_UK, Mar 2, 2005.

1. macrumors newbie

After many hours of fruitless Internet searches regarding the following, I hope a member here can help me, please ! I have quite a few .RA (Real Player) songs on my Mac. As you will know, when clicking on the .RA icon, Real Player fires up, makes a connection and plays the music. Is there any way I can convert these .RA files into .MP3s ? Initially, I thought iTunes would do the encoding, but it doesn't. Surely there is something out there for Mac users (I have seen many .RA-to-.MP3 converters for PCs) to help me out ?
    I know I could record the Real Player stuff onto my cassette deck via the hi-fi then add them back to my Mac via CD Spin Doctor as MP3s, but this would be too time-consuming. Someone help me, please !

2. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You could use something like Audio Hijack, or if you're desperate, Virtual PC plus dMC.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

A Hero !

Nermal, you're a hero ! Thanks ! Just when I thought I had given up finding something out there that was capable of .RA-to.MP3 conversions, you came along ! Hijack works a treat. Brilliant ! By the way, I could NEVER be 'that desperate' in buying Virtual PC ! Thanks again :)

4. macrumors regular

You could also try WireTap... I believe it takes the output from the sound card (real audio streaming music) and records it as MP3.

5. macrumors 68030

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, everybody :)

Thanks, too, dscan 99 and Madmaxmedia for your help...............appreciated.

7. macrumors regular

wiretap (at least the version i have) records in aiff, so you have to convert to mp3 after you've recorded something.

8. macrumors newbie

convert real audio to mp3

convert real audio to mp3 with the streambox ripper
    download the streambox ripper at its new location at
    http://www.streamboxripper.net/