Race for OSX Virus is Back!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Daveway, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

The race to make an OS X virus is back on and the bounty is set at $500. :rolleyes:

Clink

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

$500? That's it? Hell, if I was able to write a virus for OS X, I think I could get more than $500 for it just by offering it for sale to Apple, Symantec, Microsoft, or anyone else with a vested interest pro- or anti-OS X.

3. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

4. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

This isn't to make a virus, its to prove that there actually is a virus. A lot harder than writing a virus!

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Before all you haxors and script kiddies get all excited, he's offering $500 for proof that a Mac somewhere was infected with a Mac OSX specific virus (not via e.g. MS Word) before September 20th 2005.

6. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Like I've said before. There a TONS of ways to "infect" OS X, but most of the m are either shell or apple scripts, and they do not self-propogate or open automatically, and even when running Admin you still need the Admin's password to activate these scripts. A lot of them are designed to erase the contents of your HD entirely. Like a self-destruct mechanism. Useful if you can trigger it from a far if you feel that your security is being threatened (i.e. someone digging around your computer for things theys houldn't.)

However, they still do not meet the definition of a "virus, worm" or "trojan." There are Trojans out there as well, but again, they have to be placed into the end users start up items in order to be effective. Not a very easy thing to do unless you ahve direct physical or remote desktop access to the computer.