Racism in America

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by carbonmotion, Feb 21, 2007.

1. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

Do you think that institutional racism is a severe problem in the United Stats; do you think it should be corrected via social engineering (i.e. affirmative action)?

2. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i think reverse racism is a problem as well. my belief is that affirmative action is, in most areas, obsolete, as i don't feel that we need to deny a white student for a job just because they needed a less qualified minority, who would never dream about getting the job otherwise. when it was established, we had major problems, but for the most part, blacks and women are on the same playing field as the majority.

i also think title 9 needs to be revised, as women's sports won't get axed right away if not forced by student population like it was in the 70's.

racial attitudes won't be 100% wiped out. we will always have racists somewhere. and we're alot better off than parts of europe.

3. calculus Guest

calculus

Women are a minority group?

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Yes, life really is tough for white, English-speaking males in this world.

5. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Actually I reckon that us white, english speaking, hetrosexual, able bodied males are fast becoming the minority now as a result of positive discrimination. My local council runs job adverts that state that preference will be given to those people who are from the disabled community, ethnic community and gay community. Well cheers for that! What about from the properly qualified community? Surely for equality to work you don't get preferential treatment.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Being that I'm half-Japanese, half-white, I've experienced a lot of racism over my lifetime and it's 1000 times better than it was in the 1960s and 1970s.

In business, though, I still find the old boys club dictating a lot of what happens. Affirmative Action type plans can't do anything about private business that does many things under the table unless it snoops into all of the nooks and crannies where we don't want the government anyway.

As older people die or vacate the work environment, the push to keep things the way they "always" were is lessened. I still see business as a place where men dominate but it's less so than even 10 years ago with more women taking middle management roles.

I always thought that it was great when women such as Ellen Hancock or Carly Fiorina moved up in the ranks because it showed that certain companies weren't afraid of strong women. I think it's still rare to see Blacks, Asians, or Hispanics in positions of power in the U.S.A. (Please don't remind me about Charles Wang.)

It's odd though because I've heard some nasty mutterings when someone has a supervisor who isn't white but thankfully, it's not the majority of people doing such things.

Familiarity may breed contempt, but it also breeds understanding and the more people of other races mingle, the more likely work environments will have non-white management. It shouldn't be about race anyway, it should be about competence and we all know that people who move into management positions are rarely competent. They're moved upward to keep them from messing up the real work. ;)

7. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

I think being a white male gives you alot of advantages in America. Even when you look for jobs, having a white name gets you more callbacks.

8. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Speaking of race, it wouldn't be a bad idea if the cleanup took root within NASCAR. That would include women, the American engine and those of different color, nationality and make.

9. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

It’s hard to side with this since both sides are clearly having their valid points.

I really believe work (especially corporate America) is all about networks. So if you are exposed to these influences you are set. Hence why minorities of lower or middle classes cant get that exposure and struggle to get that job. Some work their buts off and make it, or they work but they see their boss’s friend of a friend's son needs a job since he just graduated from college.

I really believe racism is not a standing factor its really mix between Race, Class and Sex (gender and orientation).

Being Latino, I was proud about my culture but NEVER took advantage of the minority road; I preferred you got in because of your personality, and good ethics.

But I do see a lot of Nepotism, so I can see how race plays an influence. If I am white, grew up in white area, I will have white friends and so I would surely help them out getting that job where I work. But to many of the co-workers will see it as choosing your own kind.

I don’t know this issue is hard and so complex but I got to say my sister in 70s wasn’t even allowed to go to college because of 2 things, Female and Minority, but for me in 2000. I did more things she never was able to do because of the culture.

I do think we are improving but slowly like how the government works slowly.

10. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

LOL That is spot on! So true.

I genuinely don't get the whole racism thing. To dislike a person because of their colour or origin is simply ridiculous in my view and it just doesn't compute at all in my brain. To dislike someone because they're an idiot or contemptable.....well, fine. To form an opinion on someone simply by the way that they look or talk is just crazy though. I'm slightly naive sometimes and thought that in the 21st century people's views would be a lot more liberal but i'm incredulous at the attitudes of, a lot, of my colleagues at work. I would have thought that intelligent, young people would be a bit more clued up and more socially accepting of all peoples but it simply isn't the case where I work. The amount of casually racist remarks I hear in a day is frightening and when I challenge these views i'm seen as being some kind of airy fairy liberal nut job. It really saddens me and i'm glad that i'm not from a minority group that has to put up with arses like that. I'm sure that most people are more socially aware of racist behaviour so they simply do it behind the backs of those who they are targeting. Morons!

/RANT

11. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

The problem with Non-Americans, and even alot of Americans themselves, is that they dont seem to understand what Bill Cosby did 20+yrs ago.

(this is of course my own recollection of the gist of the bit)

America is like the EU in that we have many states, not countries, dividing us up, Granted we have the same Govt. body over us all, but every state is different.

Though, maybe there are many different "cultures" in America, they are certainly different mentalities depending on where you find yourself.

A black man in Alabama is treated one way.

Same black man in Tennessee, another.

New Hampshire, yet another.

America is not as cut and dry as many think. Especially today in our HIGHLY POLARIZED country, that you can hear one thing in the South, another from the North East and truly another from the West Coast.

Red%20vs.%20Blue%20map%20of%202004%20election.gif

From this image you can plainly see that at least 2 groups like to assert themselves in this country, and they are very far apart.

12. calculus Guest

calculus

The worst thing about when people make those kind of remarks in, as you say such a casual way, is that they just assume that you would agree with them.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think racism has become Americas excuse. If someone didn't get the job or got arrested the excuse is "your a racist". People don't take into account anymore that maybe they did something wrong or just are not qualified.

14. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Absolutely! If I held a bigoted view about someone I would feel ashamed to air it in public but these people are fine with it and I find that quite alarming.

15. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

In America:

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

so what's the excuse for bad grammar?

17. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

LOL! Nice Sdashiki!

Back in middle/high school days (and sometimes occasionally still!) I would make alot of racist jokes. I didn't have a problem with it because it seemed to be the norm. But when it came to intereacting with other races it was no different to interacting with the same race. I have 2 adopted brothers one is black the other is Guatemalan. The color of their skin doesn't even change how I treat them. Somehow I have seperated my stereotypical jokes with real life. I'm a 2-faced son of a bitch. I know making fun other cultures is disrespectful, but I don't disrespect the person and don't treat them differently.

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Public school.

19. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I believe that the map is from our wonderful last presendential election?

Most of the dem votes are at the major popluation centers (I live near wonderful Chicago) and are from non citizens and illegal aliens voting, dead people voting, and people voting a number of times....

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You can't imagine the nasty things people said around here about Toyota entering NASCAR territory.

However, you also see qualified white men being chosen over any other qualified applicants for no real reason whatsoever. It used to be "well, he has a family to support" as an excuse but in a situation where equally qualified candidates are vying for a position, why not choose someone with a point of view that might be a big different?

I remember offering a friend's resume to my boss in order to replace me and he remarked "Can you promise me that she'll never get pregnant?"

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wait, you're saying that "most" (meaning more than half, I would assume) of Democratic votes are illegal? :confused:

22. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

So you're saying that you think it's ok to make racist remarks behind people's backs then? You can comfortably generalise and mock a group of people because they're different but won't have the balls to do it to their face? Is it some kind of moral obligation you have to be nice to their faces or do you just not have the dangly bits? I'm curious, seriously.

23. aquajet macrumors 68020

Funny you should mention that... ;)

24. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Not yet, but they're working on it.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

[irony]I am deeply impressed at how entirely free from prejudice everybody is these days.[/irony]