Racism in Radio

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bokdol, Jan 27, 2005.

1. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

Even though i am asian i am more appalled by the tactless form of media presented in NY's top hiphop station about the tsunami victims. i hope people are not as iggnorant as this. please listed to the actually broadcast in the site below.

http://www.nemesiscorporate.com/newsletter/

i do hope that more nonasians will see this as wrong and stand up against racism of any form.

(can i make a song about slavery or use the N word, can i make a song about the holocaust) something to think about. :(

2. Spizzo macrumors 6502

I've already written letters to all the advertisers on the Hot 97 morning show, saying pull their ad's, or they wont get my service. I know of a number of people in the radio/DJ community that have as well.

For more info on what happened, or who the advertisers are check:

www.hot97sucks.com

This is just wrong. :mad:

3. chanoc macrumors 6502

chanoc

That is very wrong and insulting. :mad:

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I can't belive they broadcast that. :eek: :eek:

That is some seriously ignorant S***. :mad:

Racism is so often portrayed in the US as a white/black thing that people seem to forget that it is up to EVERY group to show respect to one another. Not to mention making light of one of the worst natural disasters in our lifetime. How they thought this was broadcastable is totally beyond me, and I hope the architect of this crap gets hung by his you-know-whats.

EDIT: did somebody set up that website just in response to this incident? Quick work, I say.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

There was something that happened recently on an Orlando urban radio station where they called some support group in India and started cursing at them. Apparently, they did not consider the broadcast itself to be offensive but the fact that the recording ended up on the station's website was.

The staff member who posted it was sent to sensitivity training.

6. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    does anyone have the actual song
    im really pissed off i had friends and some family who were in thailand when it happened thankfully the were in the higher floors of their hotel when it struck and they werent swept away, but the people in the floor below them were :(

7. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Wow that is incredible! How could that even be thought of as funny let alone in good taste?

There was an incident in the UK recently but nowhere near this bad. Rodney Marsh (football pundit) made a joke along the lines of, "David Beckham refused to go to Newcastle because of what the toon army did to South East Asia". By the way, toon army = Newcastle football supporters. He got fired for the inappropriate joke but there is some debate on the matter. However, it is nowhere near as offensive as the song played by Hot 97. I was in Thailand when it happened and the repercussions are still being felt. I still can't believe anybody could be that ignorant.

8. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i refused to listen to Hot97 when i lived in Brooklyn. i had my alarm clock set to the radio for a while and had Hot97 tuned in. i'd wake up and hear the DJ saying the "N" word quite liberally. To me, that's just disgusting...i do not want to be woken up and hear that, especially a word that is so racially loaded. trust me, i diddn't listen to the station for long.

i haven't really heard much about the "Tsunami song" that was aired, but it doesn't really surprise me. NYC radio is so so crap, the only thing i could listen to was the 96.3 NY Times classical station as everything else was so bad.

9. bokdol thread starter macrumors 6502a

bokdol

if you go to this site

http://www.nemesiscorporate.com/newsletter/

above has the lyrics and a link to the clip

or here for the acutal clip

http://www.koreanx.net/mailer/misc/hot97_tsunami.mp3

they have an mp3 audio clip of the program and the song. there was a arugument before hand because the asian DJ would not be apart of the song. it's tragic how the other DJ's try to put her down. also if you listen carefully you can here one dj say he wants to shoot asians.
    that was right before they played the song.

10. ProjektJ macrumors member

thank you for posting this.
    I live in New York, and my mother is chinese. I used to have respect for this show, but it has gone way downhill...
    I'm protesting outside the radio station today at 11:00 with some other people

11. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

12. bokdol thread starter macrumors 6502a

bokdol

i think alot of racism towards asians is swept under the carpet or seen as a non issue. and being asian i see more asian jokes by non asians every day. which i dont mind jokes. i find it amusing. but this is not a joke it is hate. that is why i posted this. :( (it is sad that it came from the black community and a respected member of that community, when racism was so prevelent and so hard fought against. and sadder that they dont respect that asian that works with them.)

i dont hate them i feel sad for them. (the DJ's) they are so blind to themselves and thier actions.
    * as punishment one weeks of pay will go to the tsunami funds... and susspended but not fired
    remember howard stern got got fined over 500,000 dollars.

13. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

truely disgusting. i'm caucasian and i come from a town in the uk where i only ever see white faces. i see lots of racist signs all around me. there is absolutely no need for racism anywhere.. it is utterly repulsive.

i listened to the clip i really cant comprehend how anyone would think it was a good idea to broadcast it! just listening to them arguing before hand was really childish and innappropriate.

i know if something like that was broadcasted here there would be outrage (killroy silk anyone?). it isnt just a race thing, its utterly disrespectful of the 150,000+ people that died. would those pricks at hot 97 have made a track about the people that died in the wtc? nah i dont think so.

if you havent heard it the retaliation track is worth a listen :p

14. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

they should fire the dj's. period.
    and these are the cases where FCC should get involved, not "wardrobe malfunction".

15. Punani macrumors regular

Punani

I listened to the broadcast and the subsequent conversation in the studio itself when one of their own found it offensive...

On this tape you hear them introducing the "Tsunami Song," then Miss Jones and co-host Todd Lynn launching into an abusive tirade against Miss Info when she voices her objection to it. Miss Jones finally tells Info she's only complaining because "you feel superior, probably because you're Asian."

Then, after Miss Info has said the song is offensive to Asians, co-host Todd Lynn informs her: "I'm gonna start shooting Asians." Yes, he really says that. It's at 3:37 on the mp3.*​

While this is probably a more extreme example of morning radio show behavior. I find that the general level of humor in these show just tasteless, period.

The hosts on the show do not need to actually be funny. They do very low class, simplistic, insult comedy. This isn't about political correctness or even attacking insult-oriented comedy, this is about being tactful.

Following the election in November, a host here in Los Angeles made a comment about the people who checked out the Canadian immigration website and commented on calling him when they were selling their houses. Another show will call up foreigners and insult their country.

I remember reading a quote, "You can't be funny, and not offend someone." Yes you can, it's just harder to do.

* Link to Audio and Excerpt

16. craigdawg macrumors 6502

I agree. Like that whole Abercrombe mess...would they have done the t-shirts with (and I apologize in advance for offending anyone but I'm trying to make a point) "Buckwheat's Cotton Picking Service" or "Lopez's Lowriders"? "Of course not," you say. "That's offensive." It's not a joke, it's not funny.

The problem is the absense of a uniform voice to represent the Asian community. If this radio "parody" affected African-Americans you can bet the NAACP would be marching the very next day, not a week later. They're mobilized to a much higher degree than us and speak with a stong voice.

Look at all the different Asian ethnic groups we have here. Not just Chinese, Japanese, and Korean but Vietnamese, Hmong, Thai, Laotian, Cambodian, Filipinos, Asian Indians, etc. And we're not all known, historically, for getting along in the first place (in Asia) so when it comes to standing up against something like this, I think it's harder for us to come together.

Okay done ranting. Back to our regularly scheduled program.

17. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i listened to it. wow. i can't even believe that argument that took place before the song either. that song was so far from being funny. i hope that these people get fired and realize how distasteful it was.

18. apple2991 macrumors 6502

For some reason I immediately thought this thread would be about Rush Limbaugh. Silly.

19. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

The argument is nearly as shocking as the song itself.

20. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

the argument was stupid all they did was shout at each other

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I can't even imagine listening to that radio station. The constant talking over each other is annoying.

Very sad to hear such a beautiful song tarnished in this way. That kind of language is just wrong.

22. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Didn't want to start a new thread, so tacking this story to the bottom of this thread instead:

In other related tsunami news, a Canadian town donates $10,000 to the tsunami appeal and now wants it back for a fireworks display, linkety link.

23. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

Ohh yeah, compared to the mid 90s, radio stations in new york completely suck. Then again its more like the music now adays sucks too, but the radio stations and djs had way more content and werent talking about sex and kids and the life of celeberties 24/7...

Hot 97.1, sucks, worst of them all. Thank god for my iPod! Hah and yall want AM/FM radio for your iPods!!

24. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Fireworks eh? If it wasn't such a long walk I'd go there and hand out some free punchin' in the face ^_^ It makes this town's population look really REALLY bad. ... Fireworks... *sigh*