rack mounting a power mac g5 - is it safe?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by MIXMAN3113, Mar 25, 2005.

1. MIXMAN3113 macrumors newbie

hello everyone , i was just curious if it was safe to rackmount a power mac g5. im putting together a mobile pro tools rig , and was wondering if the liquid cooling system in the 2.5 power macs would get damaged from it bumping around in a rack , it would be in a shock mounted rack, with wheels , but traveling with it would cause it to bump around alot.

i guess it wouldnt be too good for any computer to be in a rack like that , but people do it , so it must be safe , just curious if anyone has had that experience with a 2.5 power mac. any input would be helpful, thanks.

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I think you'll find the G5 is too big for a standard 19" rackmount, I've used G4's in the horizontal, but even Dreamhire's rigs come with the G5 upright.

I think there's a mounting tray available for the G5, but it's a vertical confinguration.

I don't think the cooling system is an issue, it's just too big.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The cooling system in a car doesn't get damaged by bumping around a lot.

If you are running it around in a mobile rack, you're probably going to want something that center mounts -- so it'll be a waste of space.

Of course a horizontal reconfigured PowerMac G5 2.5 in a 4.2U configuration will be about double the cost of a PowerMac G5.

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I don't know about the cooling system, I doubt it would be an issue, but I don't know. As for the size, a PowerMac G5 will fit on the rack horizontally if, and only if, you cut the handles off.

Horizontal G5 rack mount: http://www.marathoncomputer.com/g5rackmounth.html

5. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Yeah, that's what I thought, you could take the handles off a G4, but to do the same with a G5 means 30 mins with a hacksaw... :eek:

6. MIXMAN3113 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies guys , yes i know it has to be rack mounted vertically, i would never cut the handles off to mount it horizontally, so it will have to be a vertical mount , but thats not a problem. i like the center rackmount that marathon computer sells, it seems like the logical choice given that there will be plenty of room on either side of the g5 for airflow, being stuck in clubs sometimes with 1000 sweaty kids seems to make it quite humid, so the extra space on either side would be welcome, well thanks for the answers.