Radar Detectors

Discussion in 'Community' started by cr2sh, Mar 13, 2003.

1. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I've come to realize that I know nothing about the damn things. I'm going to go shopping for one this weekend, cuz this new v8 is just too much fun. Any recommendations? The Beltronic Vector series seems to get good reviews, a specific model anyone? Good experiences or comments? I mean I could spend $500 and get the best, but was thinking around $150. You input would be much appreciated. Other brands or options? Thanks!

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Your best option is go 5 mph over the speed limit and leave it at that, use that money to pay credit cards or save for a newer mac. I know you didnt want to hear that but i had to.

3. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Why did you 'have to'? Seriously, I want to know, what made you post your nonsense in this thread? I started the thread to ask for user reviews of radar detectors and you say 'pay credit cards or get a new mac.' If you have nothing of relevance to say, why are you posting?

Anyone else?

4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Fomr what i've been told by the gentleman at the local bestbuy the differnce between the higher end models and the lower end models has to do with whether or not they are able to detect different spectrums. Also you pay more for voice alterst (more annoying than useful to me). I suggest you go for one in the 150-100 range because they have the same chipsets typcially as the 300 ones minus the extra not necessarily useful features. As for specific models, I have been in cars with a PassPort 8500 (the annoying one) and a non-voice cobra model (worked equally well at half the price of the passport) I suggest you also try and test the sounds at a store and read epinions.com to see what they may think over there

Other things ot think about, some detect things like the laser radar detectors but in Illinois only the state police use that type of tech so its not a necessary feature.

Also you should never speed :) but if you feel the need make sure you do it as safely as possible.

5. guitargeek macrumors regular

What kind of car?

Also, the best way to avoid being pulled over is just to be observant. Many districts are moving over to laser gun rather than the older radar, and laser is much more difficult to detect. They make laser detectors as well, but they aren't nearly as effective as the radar ones are.

If you really feel the need for some sort of device, look into that new scrambler thing that's out (don't remember the name, sorry). Basically, it just scrambles the signal as you go by, instead of it reported one steady speed, it'll report 11 MPH, then 227 Mph, etc, which causes the gun to not display anything at all.

But, really, I haven't pulled over yet in my driving career, and I like to "have fun" with my car, shall we say (hint: I've found out first hand what the governer on my car is set for). I just keep an eye out for cops. Look for obvious spots that they would sit at, look for strange lights off the road, etc.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its not nonsense, i have had sport cars and still do, i have had radar detectors and even had one when i got a ticket, Police have also lazer detection devices, when you add the cost of the ticket, cost of insurance, and hassle i have learned that 5-7 over the speed limit and be happy with that. I have a hard time doing the speed limit but since i have added 5-7 i have yet to get another ticket and my insurance is now cheap. Just some words of wizdom but you probably have your sights on a cool detector so go ahead!

7. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

I think scramblers are legal in most states, with the exception of California, Nebraska, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Virginia and Washington D.C (according to Rocky Mountain Radar).

I have to look into the subject as well, just bought a VWGolf VR6...so let us know what you find out.

Oh, and never speed in residential areas...

8. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

radar dectors don't work i got 9 POINTS in one NIGHT they don't work at and i know how to use the radar

oh yea scramblers are ILLEGAL in every state
    lazer blockers are legal

9. crazytom macrumors 6502a

crazytom

Can't beat them

You can't beat the photo system (where they take a picture of your car and measure the streak) and you can't beat the aerial planes either. I used to love to speed until I got nailed doing 75 in a 50...even though I had a detector...the cop turned it on 1/4 mile in front of me and there was nothing I could do....

10. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

When I'm at home, the new Jeep is damn fast, I tend to get up a little higher and don't realize it - I want the protection. I think its true, some people love them - some people don't believe in them - some people have learned their lesson the hard way. I simply want that extra insurance that $150 can buy. I think that makes sense. Two years ago I got a pair of tickets within a month of each other and now I keep an eye on it, but the fact is I work GPS observations and spend 8hours a day in a truck. For me it is a worth while investment.

What is up with 'the old south' by the way? Perhaps i'm too sensative about it, but must i point out the faults of the antebellum south?

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

A laser block is a good idea, but make sure your detector has at least two laser sensors... not just one omnidirectional one, that doesn't work. Keep in mind laser detectors require a line of sight, so it's best to put them higher on the winshield... but then it can be too high for the laser.

find the cheapest one with multiple laser sensors and go for it. A city mute can be handy but isn't really a necessity.

If you *do* get pulled over, the cop will probably give you a speeding ticket just for having it...

back before laser was common, i had a radio one mounted in place of an ashtray, in a flip-down style tray... i just flipped it up when i didn't want to draw attention. totally cool... ah memories...

pnw

12. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Radar detectors can be good in some cases, however I believe you will be wasting your money in the end. My reason for this is that you will tend to drive faster if you have a detector which will greatly increase your chances of being pulled over. I haul **s on the roads, however I have been saved by paying attention. I "usaully" try not to go over more than 10 mph over the speed limit. But if there is a group of people going well over the speed limit, I try and get in the middle of the pack thus reducing the chance of being singled out.

But if you must get a detector, I believe they make ones where sensors are placed around all corners of the car (at least they used to make them), that would be your best bet. Or you could always put a special paint on your car were the signals from the radars are either absorbed or defracted in a none readable signal. But that would cost a lot more than your car probably ;)

Forgot, also my buddy uses a CB or scanner, and the truckers tell where cops are positioned, plus with the CB you can talk with the truckers and ask them where their at....just a thought.

Let's not knock the South my friend. The old south doesn't imply anything about racism. Just reminds us southerners of the good old days when things were simple.

13. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Oh we certainly wouldn't want to 'knock the south,' they have such a proud heritage. :rolleyes:

Ken Greenberg's Honor & Slavery directly implicates the lifestyle of the 'good old days' with slavery (in less than obvious ways). I would argue that references to 'the old south' do refer to slavery, though i'm quite sure that's not how DHM intended it. I just can't understand why someone would be proud of that association. :confused:

14. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

15. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I have had 4 speeding tickets in the last 10 years. In the last 5 years I have been doing the 5 MPH over method and still managed to get 2 tickets. (Once when I accelerated too fast and got up to ten MPH over, realized what I did, slowed down, and was pulled over a block away for speeding. Never saw the cop. (The other-time I was distracted in the car and didn't notice the speed dropping on a construction zone.)

So since the construction zone ticket I have been running a $60 Cobra model radar detector continuously in case I accidentally speed. It has saved me from at least 2 tickets. (Once an over acceleration, and another time driving fast in New Orleans with a couple of other cars. Radar went off where it shouldn't. I slowed down, and he pulled over the other two. :D)

The way I drive isn't excessive. I just have bad luck with tickets. After the first ticket I was saved from, the detector paid for itself. But I always have it on. (it doesn't seem to affect my Explorer's battery even thought it never turns off. It is kinda cool to have two little green dots glowing in the window. :))

Anyway, that is my experiance with them. They definitely do not help you if you are trying to drive 25 over. (most of my warnings come less than a second before full beam. And if you are driving away from other cars you will have no warning.)

(and getting a low end one hasn't hurt me either. (It does most bands anyway) But I know for a fact that police departments do not have cutting edge radar guns. Because, (and I quote) "We already get enough speeders with the old guns." :D

16. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    I doubt it's available over here, but in a british car mag (evo), the "road angel" just won in a test of all detectors, the valentine one was good, but expensive and gave off a lot of false alarms.

in my experience, observation is the best thing. i used to street race back in england (where it's corners too, not just drag racing like here in the states) and the cops would hide everywhere, even IN the bushes (not just behind). I've been as fast as my cars would go, regularly, and never, ever got a ticket. maybe i've been lucky, but maybe it's down to good observation too. even here in the states i've been over a 100 on the nj turnpike which is apparently notorious for the state troopers but nada. although i go fast, at times, i don't go cutting in and out of lanes and driving like an ass, you can still be considerate to other road users even when doing twice their speed. anticipation and observation are key. having said that though, CB is great from what i hear, probably better than a detector (if you don't mind having the aerial)

oh, and NEVER speed in residential areas.

one thing though....america has the best, widest, fastest roads (except in new york city, worse than india) and yet the slowest speed limits, what's up with that??? oh yeah, people don't know what rear view mirrors are for....

ya could just move to montana ;)

17. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

sorry, but i remember seeing/reading that a car like a black corvette will get you out of being caught on a gun more than say, a jeep. the signals just bounce off the rounded fronts. and the colour is apparently helpful too.

18. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I once drove down a highway in Canada that was so straight and clear that I had to throw stuff out the window just to make sure I was still moving:D

When the rear-view is the same as the windscreen, you're probably in the US...

19. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

~cracks up~ :D

f'in hilarious mate.

20. crazytom macrumors 6502a

crazytom

It's probably because most americans have a short attention span and don't know how to handle speed...if they could pay attention a little better then maybe we could all go faster. And we know what the rear view mirror is for: to hang our fuzzy dice from (or scented pine tree)! :D

21. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I think it has more to do with a total lack of drivers training.

22. crazytom macrumors 6502a

crazytom

How true!!! I took one of the 'professional' drivers ed. courses (instead of the cr@ppy high school ones). It's made a world of difference in my driving. I think I've avoided getting rear ended at least 6 times from just being watchful of the cars behind me (and leaving enough room between me and the car in front of me!).

It also helped that, as a teen, I found a dirt/gravel backroad and just played and experimented with speed, braking, power sliding, etc.

23. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I grew up riding dirtbikes and quads and therefore picked up a good knowledge of braking sliding and corner technique. Riding street bike full time has filled in the rest for me. Giving me a very acute awareness of what's going on around me. Also I try to follow the basic laws to a T. Always turn into the closest lane etc...

24. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I saw a gizmo some time ago about the size of a garage door opener that was designed to set off radar detectors. I always thought that would be kind of fun to have on long interstate drives... The one I saw came with a book "Trolling for Tail Lights".