Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ivoruest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Guatemala
Just to let you know, I managed to download Catalyst 12.4 (windows 7) for my Macbook Pro with the 6770 1Gb graphics and it is just and incredible bump over the Bootcamp Drivers. I seriously recommend installing this drivers which I downloaded from the internet after some googling.

Steps (as I did, works very well)
1. Clean old drivers with Device Manager. Then select the Display Adapters section.
2. Uninstall drivers and restart your mac.
3. Install this drivers. (this ones I used, work much better than BC Drivers)
http://downloads.guru3d.com/downloadget.php?id=2905&file=1&evp=b2350570a2c443764d6f1558d79a48a6
4. After the install, restart your mac again.

Now your games should work better than before with the BC Drivers.

**Note: This is for all those who are not experienced and do not know how to enhance their MBP capability and wish to play more demanding games with their Mac.
Good Luck. Hope this helps!

angrydog

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2009
My 6770m equiped in on the way but I've always been a Nvidia guy; Can't you just install the new drivers over the old and the installer will take care of removing the older drivers?

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
My 6770m equiped in on the way but I've always been a Nvidia guy; Can't you just install the new drivers over the old and the installer will take care of removing the older drivers?

It is never a wise idea to install the video driver in that manner. I'm not saying you can't but most people agree that you should uninstall any video driver and then install the new ones. This is for both nVidia and AMD.

Over the years, there have been issues with Windows not copying over all parts of the new driver due to in-use problems.

This may seem OCD, but I uninstall the drive, then run a cleaner (AMDcleaner or there is an nVidia one), then reboot, and then install the new driver.

YMMV, but I have never had issues with newer drivers under Boot Camp.

Lastly, to the OP, I don't believe many people here realize that you can use the new drivers (and beta drivers).

-P

ivoruest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Guatemala
I totally agree with you, Pentad. Thats why I posted this tread. I hope it helps all those who didn't know about this.

I do have one small concern btw. When I installed the drivers it recognizes my graphics card as a HD 6700m Series but not as a 6770m (the actual one). Do you know how to fix this?

weemanpow3

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2008
I do have one small concern btw. When I installed the drivers it recognizes my graphics card as a HD 6700m Series but not as a 6770m (the actual one). Do you know how to fix this?

That's how it's supposed to be.

"AMD Radeon 6600M and 6700M Series"

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
...and a word of warning for those who play Diablo3: these drivers don't work properly with it.

theBostonian

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Just to let you know, I managed to download Catalyst 12.4 (windows 7) for my Macbook Pro with the 6770 1Gb graphics and it is just and incredible bump over the Bootcamp Drivers. I seriously recommend installing this drivers which I downloaded from the internet after some googling.

Steps (as I did, works very well)
1. Clean old drivers with Device Manager. Then select the Display Adapters section.
2. Uninstall drivers and restart your mac.
3. Install this drivers. (this ones I used, work much better than BC Drivers)
http://downloads.guru3d.com/downloadget.php?id=2905&file=1&evp=b2350570a2c443764d6f1558d79a48a6
4. After the install, restart your mac again.

Now your games should work better than before with the BC Drivers.

**Note: This is for all those who are not experienced and do not know how to enhance their MBP capability and wish to play more demanding games with their Mac.
Good Luck. Hope this helps!

Does it not matter that this isn't the mobility catalyst app but the desktop one?

The app I usually use is XX-X_mobility_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc_ocl.exe

ivoruest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Guatemala
I guess not because it recognizes the video card as a Mobility card. So I guess its a "universal" catalyst sort of... but is working good.

Jimbogiant

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2008
...and a word of warning for those who play Diablo3: these drivers don't work properly with it.

FWIW I have a 6750m running on WHQL 12.4 drivers and Diablo III gets 40-50 FPS on high textures/physics, low shadows/clutter, and Low FX checked, no AA. No glitches or anything that I've encountered. IDK if the 6770m specifically has the problem though.

James

angrydog

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2009
I'm having a problem; I removed the drivers and used drivesweeper and then I installed these latest drivers; after reboot, the brightness adjustment buttons are dysfunctional and the option to adjust screen brightness on the bootcamp panel is missing. They work once I rollback to Bootcamp 4.0 drivers; Some help please?

ivoruest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Guatemala
I'm having a problem; I removed the drivers and used drivesweeper and then I installed these latest drivers; after reboot, the brightness adjustment buttons are dysfunctional and the option to adjust screen brightness on the bootcamp panel is missing. They work once I rollback to Bootcamp 4.0 drivers; Some help please?

Just try to remove the drivers with the windows tool and re-install the new one. Everything working with mine. I know some older files stay and may not be the best way but in my case it works well.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
FWIW I have a 6750m running on WHQL 12.4 drivers and Diablo III gets 40-50 FPS on high textures/physics, low shadows/clutter, and Low FX checked, no AA. No glitches or anything that I've encountered. IDK if the 6770m specifically has the problem though.

James

FWIW I have a 6750M OC'd to 800/900 MHz, and am running Diablo 3 at 1920x1200 (17") with everything maxed. Finished the game, smooth frame rates at all times. Minimum fps high 20's in Act 2, everywhere else mid-high 30's.

I think I'm rollin' WHQL 12.1.

angrydog

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2009
Just try to remove the drivers with the windows tool and re-install the new one. Everything working with mine. I know some older files stay and may not be the best way but in my case it works well.

Did that, and still no go. Another issue I have is I installed Max Payne via bootcamp; It played beautifully on High settings. Well I did a restart and now the game is lagging hard! It worked charmingly after another random reboot. This random jitterness also happened in Tropico 4. I now know why I never bought a ATi card in my life.

Raschke

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2012
Hey :)
Which driver should i download?? And don't know so much abot all this so... Should i pick one from the website u linked http://downloads.guru3d.com/downloadget.php?id=2905&file=1&evp=b2350570a2c443764d6f1558d79a48a6 and which one in there. Or should i get it from a whole other website?? Like AMD's website. I just want this because every time i load BF3 on my mac, it says '' You only have the 11.1 (or something) And the recommeded is 11.7 or higher'' So just link me a website with a good driver that owns playing BF3! (My BF3 isnt that fast anymore and starts crashing... ) And i will follow the 4 steps :) :)

ivoruest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Guatemala
Hey :)
Which driver should i download?? And don't know so much abot all this so... Should i pick one from the website u linked http://downloads.guru3d.com/downloadget.php?id=2905&file=1&evp=b2350570a2c443764d6f1558d79a48a6 and which one in there. Or should i get it from a whole other website?? Like AMD's website. I just want this because every time i load BF3 on my mac, it says '' You only have the 11.1 (or something) And the recommeded is 11.7 or higher'' So just link me a website with a good driver that owns playing BF3! (My BF3 isnt that fast anymore and starts crashing... ) And i will follow the 4 steps :) :)

I recommend downloading it from the link I posted. Those are the certified drivers and the ones I'm using now. They work pretty well.

It is not possible to download them from the AMD site because it will download a tool that won't let you. Good luck and any questions feel free to ask.

----------

Did that, and still no go. Another issue I have is I installed Max Payne via bootcamp; It played beautifully on High settings. Well I did a restart and now the game is lagging hard! It worked charmingly after another random reboot. This random jitterness also happened in Tropico 4. I now know why I never bought a ATi card in my life.

1- Uninstall the game. Make sure it left no files behind.
2- Reboot.
3- Uninstall the drivers again with the windows tool.
4- Reboot.
5- Make sure no trace of the drivers is left in the computer. Driver sweeper can help here.
6- Reboot.
7- Re install the drivers (12.4) and make sure Windows recognizes them. GPU-Z can help you with this.
8- Reboot.
9- Then Install the game. This way it should work.

Good luck.

azael

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2012

Any luck with that? I got the same issue with GTA IV - first run 40fps on high details, reboot and second run 8fps on the same settings, 17fps on very low settings...

I didn't touch my drivers since last month.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 seem to hate my AMD 6750M with 12.4. It's quite irritating that I must hunt for cracked drivers as AMD is too lazy to add the 6750M's hardware profile to their driver packages.

I tried running those games and, even with low/medium settings and no AA/anisotropic filtering, I get 20-30 FPS. It even does so with an over clock.

What temperatures are you guys getting? My GPU seems to be hovering around the mid to high 80C point.

angrydog

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2009
Any luck with that? I got the same issue with GTA IV - first run 40fps on high details, reboot and second run 8fps on the same settings, 17fps on very low settings...

I didn't touch my drivers since last month.

It honestly works soo randomly. I restart, I open a video file and then go play the game and all is well 'sometimes'. I really need to trace down the root of the problem once I get some spare time. Glad but not really glad, to see I'm not the only one with the problem as I haven't seen the problem reported any where else.

azael

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2012
It honestly works soo randomly. I restart, I open a video file and then go play the game and all is well 'sometimes'. I really need to trace down the root of the problem once I get some spare time. Glad but not really glad, to see I'm not the only one with the problem as I haven't seen the problem reported any where else.

I got the same issue with Bastion an LIMBO. For Bastion I have to force windowed mode without border (so it is like fullscreen actually when you have window with monitors resolution) and for LIMBO in ATI card preferences I set that everything is controlled by application (in other options I set 'performance' instead of 'quailty') and these games works fine.

Sadly I have no idea what to do with GTAIV...

angrydog

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2009
1- Uninstall the game. Make sure it left no files behind.
2- Reboot.
3- Uninstall the drivers again with the windows tool.
4- Reboot.
5- Make sure no trace of the drivers is left in the computer. Driver sweeper can help here.
6- Reboot.
7- Re install the drivers (12.4) and make sure Windows recognizes them. GPU-Z can help you with this.
8- Reboot.
9- Then Install the game. This way it should work.

Good luck.

I did all that and 3 times and used driversweeper too on the 4th try. At the end, it was so bad that the drivers would not install; only the cataylst control panel would install. Then I tried the AMD Rage Performance Driver and all was well, but I want to use the latest drivers (not some from Oct. 2011) so I then used your linked drivers and finally upgraded. Now I think the problem seems to have disappeared as Tropico 4 opens up fine now.

ivoruest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Guatemala
So I haven't been playing a lot because I've been busy a lot. But last night I did had some small lagging with GTAIV. My settings are not to high but still the game doesn't run as it should. I do think the 6770m 1Gb paired with Core i7 Sandy Bridge @ 2.4Ghz and 8Gbs of ram should be more than enought to run this game. But still it won't run as it should. I've read this game isn't very well coded and many complain about it. Other games so far have run very good. I've tried Portal 2 and Starcraft both on High settings. The Macbook Pro does get pretty hot indeed but still can handle this two very nicely. I don't understand what is the problem.

Drivers are working even better than on OS X Lion. To prove this I run Unigine Heaven Benchmark on both Mac OS X and on Windows. I put both on OpenGL rendering to make them the most alike and I got about 2-10 more FPS on Windows with Catalyst 12.4 than on OS X. I know its not a lot but it was fairly constant. So it does make a difference.

** I know the comparison is not the best nor the most fair between OS but it can give you an idea.

nudoru

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2012
Near Charlotte NC
This didn't work for me. I uninstalled the Bootcamp drivers and then rebooted, windows installed the standard VGA drivers. Installed the ATI ones but the computer wouldn't detect them - I couldn't get it off of the VGA driver mode. Is there a trick?

azael

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2012
GTA IV is working well again (and I hope it will work as long as possible).

I've installed AMD Catalyst 12.6 Beta (8.98 June 4) and everything works fine (at least for now).
I won't put a link here, because it's beta, so you're installing it on your own risk.

Thanks for all the previous tips!

Jens Engels

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
GTA IV is working well again (and I hope it will work as long as possible).

I've installed AMD Catalyst 12.6 Beta (8.98 June 4) and everything works fine (at least for now).
I won't put a link here, because it's beta, so you're installing it on your own risk.

Thanks for all the previous tips!

I have exactly the same problem, after updating to 12.4 drivers, sometimes fps is around 40, and after a reboot, it's all laggy. randomly changes. i hope the new 12.6 goes out of beta soon :), will you let us know :)?

what are your overclock settings?

riderword11

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012
Help Please

I really need some help guys.
I know it may be a stupid question but how do I uninstall the drivers? After I go to Device Manager what do I do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.